New Diver - needs advice on India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahces

New
Reaction score
Hello

My name's Sarah. I've never been diving, but have always really wanted to. My boyfriend and I are going to India for 6 months very soon. We'll be mostly around the south coast.

We both very much want to get into diving whilst we're there, and I wonder if anyone knows anything about diving in India? If anyone has any recommendations or advice it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah (and Sam)

get your cert before you go, then you will be exposed to diving locally so you can be familiar with the basics and just need to go on any dive charter you find over there. it will also let you understand diving in your area so you can keep it up seasonally or all year depending on how serious you are about diving and the region your in

Lakswadeep, the Northern extension of the Maldives, is gorgeous, and expensive. Be sure to get certified in advance, so you don't spend two days learning classroom stuff and going through a lot of things that you can do in a pool, especially at the cost of the resort. It is where we learned to dive, 20 years ago.

There is virtually no diving along the coastline of India itself.

Also, be prepared for culture shock. India is an assault on all the senses, all at once. :wink:

All above is true, except that the Maldives islands (other than Malé) are as about as laid back and subdued as you can get other than being comatose.

Not much "sense assaulting" goes on there other than the beauty of the reef.

You don't just fly-in and "show up".

You fly to Malé airport, which is on its own separate island off of the main city/island of Malé. From there you must take a fast boat or float plane to any one of a hundred remote island resorts.... or a liveabaord.

Diving in/off of India per-se, as in your original post? There might be some, but of that I am unaware.

Lakswadeep requires a flight to Agatti from Cochin and then a boat ride to either of the two islands where foreigners are permitted. The Andaman Islands are reached by plane from Chenai or by ferry which may not be open to foreigners -and is quite long, if it is. The boat to Lakswadeep is definitely Indian Passport holders only. Goa has diving but I believe it is pretty murky, unlike the Maldives and Lakswadeep which have great viz.

I don’t know much about diving in India..But sure could tell you how to get to the Maldives easily from India.

Maldives is not too far from India. Should be able to get a flight from $220-$270(Return flight). Try Indian Airlines (IC) & Maldivian Airlines. These are the best choices to make in terms of price. Flight time is about 1 hour. (Maldivian might take 1h 20min but they most of the time have the best price.)

It’s just the beginning of the season for the Maldives. So still if you have a look around on the internet you might be getting a good price on one of the resorts or a liveaboard.

If you would like to do different activities the best choice can be an island as they would offer more activities than a boat. If you are experienced divers and have no problems in current, don’t mind doing only diving on your holiday (3 dives a day) then Liveaboard is also a good choice. But for a beginner i would NOT recommend a liveaborad.

On the resort islands it more relaxed. Normally they will have 2 boats going out everyday. 1 in the morning and one in the Afternoon. Morning some islands they have a 2tank dives. So you will be back on the island after 2 dives. Just before lunch most of the time. Afternoon most islands have single dive and you will be back pretty quick. But the best thing is that your dives are not prepaid unlike Liveaboards. Liveaboard the dives are included in your price. (Ofcourse if its a diving Liveaboard). Resort you can select a dive package ones you are there with the help from the dive guides at the dive school. Island gives you more....water-sports,SPA,Live Band,Pool, etc...

Hope this will helps

Happy Dives

Lakshadweep offers good and less explored dive sites. You can avail a flight (Kingfisher/indian airlines) and reach Agatti from there you can access the world famous bangaram resort. All other islands you can reach only by ship. As an islander i recommend you to prefer Air travel. If yu book 2 or 3 months advance you can get low to and fro airfares to kochi. A new local dive center offering PADI courses named divelakshadweep has stated operation in Agatti island. you can choose choose local room,Guest house or resort as per your budget and yes diving, they offer customised dive rates as per your requirment. Dive with local island instructor to explore the reefs who has been diving these reefs from childhood. visit the website of divelakshadweep com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom