New diver- New gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me start by saying that I really like the Aqualung/Apeks family of dive gear, it is what I primarily dive with, but there is a few things that probably the shop hasn't told you. 1) there is significant (to me) difference between the 2010 model and the 2011 model of Titan LX--I can guess which one they are offering. 2) There was no mention of a compass, there should have been. 3) The package has some IMHO some fluff (non-essential) products in the mix 4) The package as priced has some paper (not true) discounts, but the shop could easily discount another $300 to $400 dollars and still be profitable and within contract with the wholesalers. Whether they would or not is completely different discussion.

So the short answer:
1) Good Quality
2) Questionable applicability
3) Questionable value

I just purchased an aqualung package (Pro LT BC, Titan Reg, abs octo, and suunto computer) through my LDS for $900 aqualung has another package that was $800.

I am also new to diving but I have loved the first Half dozen dives so i decided to get my own stuff!

Wow $900 thats a huge difference :idk:

There's a hugh difference in what the OP's package includes!! I just re-read it and though I don't agree with everything on the list, the price isn't bad. The first time I read the post I didn't notice that it included the OW class. That's $450 or so right there...Also if I'm reading it right he is getting three wetsuits along with a gear bag etc, etc, etc...

There's a hugh difference in what the OP's package includes!! I just re-read it and though I don't agree with everything on the list, the price isn't bad. The first time I read the post I didn't notice that it included the OW class. That's $450 or so right there...Also if I'm reading it right he is getting three wetsuits along with a gear bag etc, etc, etc...

I read the wetsuits to mean a standard two-piece farmer john with no mention of a hood. The bags, etc. struck me as add-on stuff, things I use maybe every other year & I dive 80 - 100 x a year, hence my jaded opinion. Throw in something I use like a rubbermaid tub :D I was also thinking of the recent sale on A/L when I took a stab at the pricing.

To the OP: Remember nearly every major brand of gear has at least one major sale per year, & this could be a very good way of buying exactly what you want...

--Tom-- Read the post again. I missed half the stuff that was in the package he's looking at the first time I read it. (I"m not saying I would do the deal, I was just commenting on kire1984's remark on the difference in price from the two posters deals...)

It's not a good thing to spend your money on anything you know little or nothing about. Taking time buying gear will allow you research and decide if you need it, whether it will suit your diving, and if it is a good value.

Once you get certified you will have time to research, dive different rigs, and talk to divers where you dive about the gear that works for them and decide what will work for you.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

When I first started, I bought the mask, snorkel, booties and fins new. Everything else was used. I bought a used 7mm Seaquest wetsuit (including hood and gloves) for $200 and a used Seaquest BC for $125. Those I dive with thought I bought new. My used octo (including a Suunto computer) cost me $200. My used 120cf steel tank was also $200.

Everything works fine.

Take your time with purchasing your equipment. With a little time and research, you can save a lot of money.

Phil

"uncoated block weights, uncoated lead weights, flag & float, 80 suf cylinder, plastic line holder with 75' line, mesh backpack,"

At this point these items are a waste of your money. Do not even think about buying weights until the instructor has shown you how to properly weight yourself. Rent tanks for a while unless you plan to dive every weekend. When you do buy tanks buy at least two. One is pretty much worthless because you'll likely need to rent another anyway. Flag and float with line and holder? Nah not yet. Dive with people that already have them. Why would anyone buy a mesh back pack and an equipment bag. Not necessary. Buy the bag, ditch the mesh.

You do not need a computer either. At least for a while. And the cobra is a $500 one at least. Cheaper ones are out there that will do the same thing. BC - don't buy until you've had a chance to try a few. Ask if in the class they will let you try different styles. If not- why not?

What kind of wetsuit? Brand name or generic. Big differences as well. Hose guard should come with reg and not be extra. And they are not that useful anyway. I've seen more new divers abuse them by not pulling them back and rinsing under them. And scumball is a good name for that. An octo holder can be made out of surgical tubing and a couple zip ties for a buck. I like the ones from trident that are a simple hook on to the d ring and an open silicone loop.

The reg is a good one but there are others that will do the job for less money.

This kind of sales pitch is why I devoted a chapter to choosing gear in my book. And why I carry the line of gear I do. I never pressure anyone to spend more than they need to. In the last two days I've discouraged a few customers from spending nearly $200 with me because they didn't need the items.

Yep, dive flag caught my attention too. Who wants to tow flag anyway. Tanks? I rent mine (ahead of time) on the boat....no lugging tanks.

You are ready to buy the farm, and you don't know if you even like Dirt....

Have you considered used?

What is the major difference between one Jacket BC and another?

What is the difference between Jacket, BackInflate, and Backplate Wing BCs? Which best suits your diving style?

What is the major difference between Regulators? Hint the answer has less to do with ease of breathing then with ease of servicing.

What are you going to do with a flag and float? They are potentially a necessity, but generally one in a group needs to tow one, and as a new diver you will NOT be that individual for a while.

What about a light?

I purchased the majority of my first set of equipment used. Glad I did, as I sold most of it within a year to purchase a different setup and lost very little if any $$$.

For example, I purchased a used Zeagle Ranger. Great BC, but who needs 45lbs of lift, and larger bladders tend to trap air more easily. Sold that and purchased a Stiletto for the smaller wing. I also purchased a BP/W for diving dry.. so even as I had researched the Ranger purchase, things changed.

Sounds like your LDS wants you to buy the Aqualung Farm before you have your feet wet. I'd slow down, but I am guessing you may not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom