New diver - questions and thoughts on regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This set from deepstop seems perfect, and the price is really good. The only thing I would do is shorten the hose on the main to 100cm and add a right angle adapter. Effectively copying the "streamlined" setup from Dive Gear Express.

Singletank-DIR-Set Apeks XTX50 5-Port - Deepstop GmbH

I would have bought it already, but they only sell DIN, and base on advice here, I really should be buying Yoke.

If anybody reads this, who wants to match that deal, but for Yoke, PM me.

When u guys say long hose set up, does it mean the tech diving set up with the long primary 2nd stage. It requires to share the primary to the OOA buddy and uses the short secondary around the neck yourself.

When u guys say PADI set up, does it means sharing the octo which normally located on the hip or right chest that is ready to be shared to the OOA buddy?

I recently got myself a set of B2 + Z2 Octo. Might be going to test them out at Pool next week.

Okay, regarding the BCD, Here is something I would like to share.

I got certified as PADI Open Water Diver in April this year. But i had more than 20 solo pool session before my Open Water. All the while with a jacket style BCD.

Before my 8th dive, I got myself a Dive Rite Travelpac. My first experience into the water is that the wing will push me forward when I am on the surface. While diving, things just seems weird and felt uncomfortable. However, as time goes by, now I felt much better diving with the wing. The point is, if u have been diving with Jacket BCD, it may take some time to get the adjustment right and get used to it. Once you get use to it, you will appreciate the Wing BCD. In August, I took my Advance O

pen Water and felt much better conpare to my first wing experience. One thing about the Dive Rite Travelpac(or maybe other Dive Rite BC) is, the eliminate the shoulder sump valve and integrate it with the inflator corrugated hose. The dump exhaust faces down. So, if u want to pull the corrugated hose to dump air, u may consider dumping air from the kidney dump or with the inflator.

Other than that, things just got better each time I enter the water.

BTW, I have never seen ANY dive Operator in SEA not having the Yoke Tank. We all dive with Yoke tanks regulator

"long hose" usually refers to the primary on a 5' or 7' long hoses in a loop around the body with the octo on a short usually 22" hose on a necklace/suicide strap. The primary can also be on a 36-44" hose with an angle adapter or ball swivel routed under the right arm and up into the mouth.

PADI setup is the "golden triangle"

If your Travelpac feels weird, it is likely not adjusted properly.
[video=youtube;YGlNnsZiWrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlNnsZiWrM[/video]

Some models I'm look at are:

• Atomic Z2
  • ScubaPro MK21/S560

You have two of the best regulators out there for your level and great prices. I'd get the Z2 sealed (sealed is a $60 option AFAIK). I don't believe that there is a "beginner" regulator. There is an appropriate regulator however. Either of these two models will last you for a very long time backed by great companies (probably the best manufacturers). They are appropriate for ALL levels of recreational diving and will perform at the highest level of regulator performance at these levels. You will never regret buying them at all.

My second advice to you is to buy local if at all possible even if it costs little higher than ordering from other countries outside your region.

The other two regulators you mention aren't in the same league as the two above in terms of performance, reliability and features. The SP and Atomic are the best value overall with the best performance and reliability. I have used both brands for almost 20 years now (in addition to the others) and they have been the best in my recreational diving at all levels (deep, heavy currents, cold, etc.).

I have used a pressure transmitter and HP hose with pressure gauge or second computer (at the same time) with these two regulators and there were no problems due to regulator design at all.

"long hose" usually refers to the primary on a 5' or 7' long hoses in a loop around the body with the octo on a short usually 22" hose on a necklace/suicide strap. The primary can also be on a 36-44" hose with an angle adapter or ball swivel routed under the right arm and up into the mouth.

PADI setup is the "golden triangle"

If your Travelpac feels weird, it is likely not adjusted properly.
[video=youtube;YGlNnsZiWrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlNnsZiWrM[/video]
That's during the very begining of diving with the wing. But it becomes much better when i got used to it.

BTW tbone1004, i got my corrugated hose and the power inflator hose replaced with a 16" corrugated hose and 22" Lp inflator hose. It feels so much better.

If you are in an area where DIN tanks are available, buy DIN regulators. Most modern tanks can easily transform into DIN by simply unscrewing a small piece. It is done in 10 seconds. DIN is much better than Yoke, dispite what most people think in the USA. Its a bit like comparing metric to imperial :). . I do not need to expain, it is cover and demonstrated at lenght everywhere.

I would not go for a console with a computor, nor for AI.

I have Aqualung Titan. Cheap and very good for dives down to recreational limits. No need to spend an extra $

Hope this help.

Z2 unsealed as you are diving in the tropics. It performs as well as the top atomic regs and has no proprietary swivels or junk you don't need. The way they design their high pressure seat and piston is unique, as is the seat saver in the 2nd stage. You won't have issues with IP creep and service intervals are longer than any of the others because of it. Hollis is Oceanics attempt to sell tech gear, no pedigree and nothing new in design. They are a knock off from apeks. The scubapro needs to be the MK25 or MK17 with G250 to be equivalent to the atomic z2. The aqualung is a good reg but hose routing is not as good as the Z2.

Forget the recreational setup, get a standard long hose, backup reg, spg and inflators. It's the neatest setup by far and gives you the most streamlined setup going around. Buy a quality wrist computer or gauge and call it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z2 unsealed as you are diving in the tropics.

Why the "unsealed" in the tropics?? I live in one of the hottest areas in the world but I still prefer the sealed version. Sealed means no salt water or sand or any contaminants would enter the piston area causing issues. We have lots of fine sand where I live and diving with a totally sealed first stage is a great advantage. I go for even longer periods between servicing the regulator without any issues with the sealed version. It isn't just about diving in cold water.

Decided to go with the "streamlined" setup. This borrows heavily from a full "tech" setup. Main is on a 40" hose routed under the arm, and is the one donated. Backup is on a necklace. SPG on the left hip on a 24" hose.

Dive Rite has a nice video explaining this, and was a big part of convincing me (besides all the awesome people on this site):

DIVERITE: Scuba Diving, Streamlined Regulator for Single Tank Diving - YouTube

Now, harassing all the LDS to see who will give me the best price on an Apeks or Z2 setup. One problem here is that they will only sell the regs with the standard included hoses. So, I'll have to buy the 40" hose and have it swapped out.

The LDS here are also painfully expensive. i.e. deepstop sells a perfect Apeks XTX50 package with all the nice hoses, octo, SPG, etc. for $575 EUR. That same setup in HK, but the time I bought the hoses would be close to DOUBLE!!

A Z2 with Z2 second and a plain SPG is US $1,000 before I buy the extra hoses, etc.

Decided to go with the "streamlined" setup. This borrows heavily from a full "tech" setup. Main is on a 40" hose routed under the arm, and is the one donated. Backup is on a necklace. SPG on the left hip on a 24" hose.

Dive Rite has a nice video explaining this, and was a big part of convincing me (besides all the awesome people on this site):

DIVERITE: Scuba Diving, Streamlined Regulator for Single Tank Diving - YouTube

Now, harassing all the LDS to see who will give me the best price on an Apeks or Z2 setup. One problem here is that they will only sell the regs with the standard included hoses. So, I'll have to buy the 40" hose and have it swapped out.

The LDS here are also painfully expensive. i.e. deepstop sells a perfect Apeks XTX50 package with all the nice hoses, octo, SPG, etc. for $575 EUR. That same setup in HK, but the time I bought the hoses would be close to DOUBLE!!

A Z2 with Z2 second and a plain SPG is US $1,000 before I buy the extra hoses, etc.

Make sure that the Z2 is sealed first stage. I use 40" inch hose on the primary and route it under the arm and a 24inch for the backup on neckless. I donate the primary of course.

The Z2 shouldn't cost that much but where are you getting this price from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom