new diver screw up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan0504

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am fairly new diver, just now adventuring to some more advanced diving classes. Just had a quick question...

Anyways I have been reading warnings about the time you should wait between diving and working out. I didn't know that was something to consider and I played a pretty strenuous 2 hour ice hockey game in between 2 dives. I did 2 90-100ft dives (Before) and 2 40-60ft dives (the day after). I would say between driving home, grabbing a bite, and playing hockey I waited a total of 4 hours. Then I dove the next day maybe 15 hrs later. I didn't feel so hot after I played hockey but I assumed I was just exhausted from the days activities. I have felt fine all day but just wanted to see if I should still be worried about DCS?

If you were going to develop DCS symptoms as a result of exercising, you would have developed them the day you exercised. I think you can most likely relax.

Diving takes a lot more energy than most people realize. It was probably a combination of overexertion and a build of excess gas/bubbles in your system. Nothing to worry about in terms of DCS, but they make you tired and less efficient.

Thanks guys, Its been 48 hrs and I feel fine now. Definitely won't make that mistake again!

Hello Dan0504:

If you had played hockey right after the dives, you might have developed a problem. Hours later is OK. Divers have developed problems climbing stairs after a dive. They can provoke bubble formation.

After a dive you will have some nitrogen gas bubbles in your blood stream. This is normal and your lungs will filter them out.

If there are a lot of bubbles (deco/liveaboard) then heavy excercise (especially lifting and such) may let some of the bubbles to bypass the filtering, and they embark on a journey back towards you brain or other parts where they could do some damage. Because of this it is healthy to relax for a while after a dive. It is probably a good precaution to leave sports to the next day. These things are very complicated though: how deep, for how long, how much sports, when, feel tired? ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom