New diver spending 5 weeks in Indonesia...yeah!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
If you can, fit Komodo in, once you’re a couple of weeks in and have some more dives up. It’s really is incredible and not to be missed. For the most part you can avoid the currents - just listen to the guides and do what they tell you. And if it’s looking like a roaring one, just sit it out. And make sure you are comfortable putting up an smb. Practice this in the first couple of weeks on the easier diving areas.

But if currents worry you, wait until next time.

@Luko and @Menno - you are really sending a RANK NEW diver, with 0 - 25 dives, to Komodo?

REALLY? :facepalm:

- Bill
Have you been to Komodo Bill? Not yet. Personally I have been 3 times, so in my little experience, not just reading opinions, I think You can.
You can dive Komodo the way you want and let me tell you there are divers who get certified in Komodo .. REALLY? yes that's right, Bill.

Of course they may not dive Komodo the way some people like to but I can tell there are lots of divers having little experience even snorkelers who can dive Komodo sites like Batu Bolong, Pengah or Tatawa Besar where current are nil to mild and would experience a coral and life profusion you will never see in Bali.

Also I think on some sites you can learn better than anywhere how to cope with the current : like Tatawa Besar for instance it's a drift, the visibility is 30m, it's not too deep and the experienced boats. I would say it's less dangerous than some of Bali sites like Crystal bay or less challenging than diving Manta bay in Bali when there is a lot of swell.
At some point you have to experience current to build confidence : I think Komodo is the place. And I also think you should try Komodo Bill, it's not the big bad thing some people like to write.

I also think it's funny that people then recommend Bunaken while it's walls dropping 100m deep and sometimes nasty downcurrents happen, that also goes with Nusa Penida in Bali.
Some dives in Bali or Bunaken may get more stressful than Komodo but for some (commercial?) reason, it's not advertized as this.

Last edited:
@Luko and @Menno - you are really sending a RANK NEW diver, with 0 - 25 dives, to Komodo?

REALLY? :facepalm:

- Bill

Yes, it’s certainly doable. I have worked in Komodo and have taught OW courses and guided relatively new divers there. There are a few dive sites which I wouldn’t take a new diver too straight away (for example Cauldron, Castle, Crystal, although Crystal on slack is a great dive). Most other dive sites you can either all easy drift together, or stick to the leeward calm side (for example Batu Bolong). There are also quite a few sites that have little to no current usually (Siaba Besar, Sebayur Kecil, Tatawa Besar). As guide you just select and plan the dive best for the conditions, and brief your divers properly.

I certainly think dives off Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida can be just as challenging.

I don't believe anymore that it's necassary to stay on Nusa Lembongan which has lost a lot of its quaint charm.
I would suggest 5 days in Padang Bai then move to Tulamben for 3 days, which I take as a rival to Lembeh for small critters when you dive with a good private guide (Liberty dive centers provide some of the best guides).
I don't think Amed is worth the dive.

Instead you shoud really hit the sky after day 10 and fly to Labuan Bajo for superb diving in Komodo NP

Completely agree here! Although I like Nusa Lembongan for the diving, top side I never really 'clicked' with it. It is too big to have the small island charm of say Gili Air (love it!), and too small to have the selection and creature comforts of say Sanur (really liked it too).

I was never really impressed with Amed diving, and didn't think it was that special topside too. It's quite stretched out along the coast so you'll really need a scooter to get around. I do think Tulamben and Amed are good for muck diving.

I liked Sanur as a base to do some diving if you want to be flexible. Yes it's a bit busier (but not Kuta crazy), but a great range of restaurants, accommodation and dive shops. And easy dive day trips from there to Penida/Lembongan and Amed/Tulamben/Padang Bai. If you want some topside entertainment, the surf of the Bukit peninsula or culture of Ubud is just an hour away (I would just rent a scooter for a week and get around).

And yes, I would think it is a waste to get to all the way to Bali and miss out on the world class diving in Komodo just a cheap 45 min flight away!

Have you been to Komodo Bill? Not yet. Personally I have been 3 times, so in my little experience, not just reading opinions, I think You can.
You can dive Komodo the way you want and let me tell you there are divers who get certified in Komodo .. REALLY? yes that's right, Bill.

Of course they may not dive Komodo the way some people like to but I can tell there are lots of divers having little experience even snorkelers who can dive Komodo sites like Batu Bolong, Pengah or Tatawa Besar where current are nil to mild and would experience a coral and life profusion you will never see in Bali.

Also I think on some sites you can learn better than anywhere how to cope with the current : like Tatawa Besar for instance it's a drift, the visibility is 30m, it's not too deep and the experienced boats. I would say it's less dangerous than some of Bali sites like Crystal bay or less challenging than diving Manta bay in Bali when there is a lot of swell.
At some point you have to experience current to build confidence : I think Komodo is the place. And I also think you should try Komodo Bill, it's not the big bad thing some people like to write.

I also think it's funny that people then recommend Bunaken while it's walls dropping 100m deep and sometimes nasty downcurrents happen, that also goes with Nusa Penida in Bali.
Some dives in Bali or Bunaken may get more stressful than Komodo but for some (commercial?) reason, it's not advertized as this.

Luko, I respectively disagree about the necessary experience level to enjoy Komodo at real potential. Most LoB or day boats operators try to make sure that each customer is happy, safe, and has a good experience. Most cruise director or dive guides will have to make sure that inexperienced divers have a enjoyable experience. Thus, the day is planned around the lowest common denominator or the least experienced divers. Of course one can dive at Batu Bolong or Crystal Rock at with beginner divers or snorkelers at slack tide. Similarly, a less experienced ski might visit La Grave la Meije, but there are much better ski resorts for less experienced skiers.

That said, I have seen divers with a dozen dives have a blast in Komodo, even in current-rich waters. An experienced cruise director and dive guide makes a world of difference. Back to Luko's post, Bill - consider visiting Komodo. Its close to Bali and offers a wonderful underwater experience and "it's not the big bad thing some people like to write".

Last edited:
, Bill - you consider visiting Komodo. It's close to Bali and offers a wonderful underwater experience and "it's not the big bad thing some people like to write".

We're going in late August (after another try with Geko to find the elusive mola-mola!).

I admit that the term "washing machine currents" turned us off to Komodo initially. After having cut our teeth a few times in Raja Ampat, we're now often actively seeking strong currents.

- Bill

Have been to Komodo few times and have seen inexperienced and experienced divers suffered. And I certainly would not take inexperienced divers to Komodo with me.
What others had said or done is none of my business.

Luko, I respectively disagree about the necessary experience level to enjoy Komodo at real potential. Most LoB or day boats operators try to make sure that each customer is happy, safe, and has a good experience. Most cruise director or dive guides will have to make sure that inexperienced divers have a enjoyable experience. Thus, the day is planned around the lowest common denominator or the least experienced divers. Of course one can dive at Batu Bolong or Crystal Rock at with beginner divers or snorkelers at slack tide. Similarly, a less experienced ski might visit La Grave la Meije, but there are much better ski resorts for less experienced skiers.

That said, I have seen divers with a dozen dives have a blast in Komodo, even in current-rich waters. An experienced cruise director and dive guide makes a world of difference. Back to Luko's post, Bill - consider visiting Komodo. Its close to Bali and offers a wonderful underwater experience and "it's not the big bad thing some people like to write".
Charlie, I think we're saying the same thing though emphasizing on the different sides of Komodo. I am speaking of Komodo for the less experienced, not the whole of Komodo; As you know and mentioned LBJ most day trippers won't dive Castle Rock 2hr before high tide, -although I dived it with a LBJ dive centre but it was my own private boat : there was a LOT of shark action but I couldn't shoot anything- .

As an experienced diver I will be looking for diving more demanding sites, more challenging current to get close to more fish action and less populated sites but it doesn't prevent beginners to dive some of the most spectacular spots without being stressed.
My point is also that some spots will teach divers having 20-30 dives under their belt how to be more comfortable with currents without having to launch them ito a washing machine.
For a comparison I found many popular places where currents are more difficult to cope with than for instance the protected side of Batu Bolong or Tatawa besar (I am thinking of Similan for instance)
In my mind, I will not recommend Raja Ampat for beginners, because of the topography, there are less spots to hide from the currents and the lack of viz can make it stressful.

To above poster : what some other people say they experienced without detailing the way/the conditions they dived and what operation they chose is moot to me. A specific dive will always depend on the period of the lunar cycle, the tide condition, the ability of the dive guide and some other factors.
I know what I experienced on which site with whom, not what people write about, to make it clear.

And yes Bill move your ass to Komodo, it ain't the badass spot you think.

You guys are awesome :bounce:

Ok ok, I will go to Komodo! It was on my mind the first time I started planning this trip so let's do it. I will keep Lembeh and Komodo for the end of my trip so I will have about 60-70 dives under my belt so that should make things easier concerning confidence and skills. Considering my age and fitness, I am 36 years old and consider my self pretty fit so I should be good...

I will also do my AOW in Lembongan and maybe 1-2 speciality along the way (maybe drift diving and underwater naturalist). I already have Nitrox and Night Diver so that should be helopful :)

Here's the revised schedule so far. I have included the operators I am trying to deal with atm...) :

Day 1-3 Flight Canada-Bali
Day 3-8 - Padang Bai (Geko)
Day 8-14 - Nusa Lembongan (Two Fish Divers)
Day 14 - Flight Bali-Manado
Day 14-20 - Bangka (Nomad)
Day 20-25 - Bunaken (Two Fish)
Day 25-29 - Lembeh (Two Fish or DLL)
Day 29 - Flight Manado-Komodo
Day 29-34 - Komodo (Dragon Dive Komodo)
Day 34 - Flight Komodo-Bali
Day 35 - Denpassar
Day 36 - Flight Bali-Canada

Still waiting on some quotes for accomodation and diving but I am pretty sure that the destinations are final at this point.

What do you guys think? To much transfers/flight? Too much/not enough time at each places?

Thanks again! I am starting to be REALLY stoked for this :yeahbaby:

Cheers :cheers:

Sebastien.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom