Indonesia for 34 days - How long is long enough on each?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlowSBC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I booked a trip to Indonesia for 34 days. After booking we have learned the visa upon arrival will expire in 30 days. I understand getting an extension can be challenging and time consuming. Rather than battle that issue we have decided to leave the country for several days to Thailand for 4-7 days.

We plan to dive Komodo, Manado, Raja Ampat and Bali. I am trying to figure out how long is long enough for each destination. From reading this forum and others it seems the below will be OK?

Komodo - 7 days
Manado - 4 days
Raja Ampat - 7 days
Bali - 7 days

Thailand the remaining of time.

Should I increase or decrease any days of these destinations?

You guys were a huge help for our trip to the Philippines and I am hoping for the same input from you guys.

Thanks for any and all help.

My wife and I booked a trip to Indonesia for 34 days. After booking we have learned the visa upon arrival will expire in 30 days. I understand getting an extension can be challenging and time consuming. Rather than battle that issue we have decided to leave the country for several days to Thailand for 4-7 days.

We plan to dive Komodo, Manado, Raja Ampat and Bali. I am trying to figure out how long is long enough for each destination. From reading this forum and others it seems the below will be OK?

Komodo - 7 days
Manado - 4 days
Raja Ampat - 7 days
Bali - 7 days

Thailand the remaining of time.

Should I increase or decrease any days of these destinations?

You guys were a huge help for our trip to the Philippines and I am hoping for the same input from you guys.

Thanks for any and all help.
That's lots of flights! You can fly into Bali and easily fly to Komodo from there. Then you may be able to fly from Komodo to Manado but not sure on that. Then fly to RA from manado.
Your time a lot mentioned looks pretty good do you plan on diving from resorts or land in Komodo and RA?

That's lots of flights! You can fly into Bali and easily fly to Komodo from there. Then you may be able to fly from Komodo to Manado but not sure on that. Then fly to RA from manado.
Your time a lot mentioned looks pretty good do you plan on diving from resorts or land in Komodo and RA?

Finding the right flight pattern has surely been a struggle. The Philippines was much easier.

Here is a breakdown of the flights I found

USA to DPS day 1 (actually 2 days)
Day 1 - 7 : DPS to LBJ (Komodo) is 1 hr non stop flight.
Day 7 - 11: LBJ to MDC (Manado) is 6.5 hr flight 1 stop
Day 11 - 18 : MDC to SOQ (Sorong) is a 1 hr no stop flight
Day 18 - 25: SOQ to DPS (Bali) is a 4.5 hr flight 1 stop
Day 25 - 32: Thailand
Day 32 - 34: back to Bali and off to USA

All I have booked thus far is the flight from the US Indo and back. We are more resort people and have never done a live-aboard. I have spoken to a few dive shops and resorts to try to get an idea of how things work and the costs involved. I thought about skipping Manado but a flight from LBJ (Komodo) to SOQ (Sorong) is a lengthy one. We do not want to spend 12-20 hours to get to a destination.. so I figured we will dive Manado also.

Last edited:
I did a 60 day visa in advance of a 40 day trip. No issues. From Canada so may not be available for you but it was very simple. For me that is too many places - as much as I like Thailand would skip it and add Ambon or stay longer in each place in Indonesia.

I did a 60 day visa in advance of a 40 day trip. No issues. From Canada so may not be available for you but it was very simple. For me that is too many places - as much as I like Thailand would skip it and add Ambon or stay longer in each place in Indonesia.

Good information. I have been trying to find how I can extend the Visa online but all I have found is someone who scanned an application. Can you provide me a link to where I can apply for an extended visa?

Hey SlowSBC,
Regarding the visa consideration, two options you have that might save you some money and wasted time.

1. You can get a social visa from the Indonesian embassy which is called Sosial budaya - it's easy to get, normally the processes is between 3 and 7 days.
2. You can use one of the visa agencies in Bali... these agencies are mostly operated by foreigners but I am recommending you CCI, located in Sanur. They're safe :)

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

Good information. I have been trying to find how I can extend the Visa online but all I have found is someone who scanned an application. Can you provide me a link to where I can apply for an extended visa?

I did it at the Indonesian consulate in Vancouver. You would need to locate the consulate closest to you. Google 60 day visa.

Hi!

I’ve been to all the places you listed and had a few questions. Is your plan to dive at every place such as Bali? Don’t forget to keep in mind your no fly days - ideally 24, minimum 18 hours before, especially after back to back diving days. You mentioned you haven’t done a liveaboard before. Are you open to them and/or what is your overall budget? I think this may determine where you will end up doing a liveaboard and where you will do land based. There are more options for liveaboards in Komodo which tends to keep prices a little lower because of competition and also variety/supply and accessibility. Raja and Komodo can both be done land-based, though I might say that if you are trying to cover a larger area in Raja, it’s easier to do it via liveaboard but is more expensive than Komodo options for the same amount of time.

Keeping in mind transit time, no fly (and dive days), and depending on what you plan to do in Bali, you can possibly reduce some time in Bali since you currently have it at 7. If you want to dive USAT’s Liberty and do the Nusas then see some of Ubud, beaches, etc., I would keep it the same. Komodo can be experienced in 4-5 days if you are diving 4 tanks a day. I would keep a Raja at 7. I’m not sure if you should bother with Manado if you plan to go to Bunaken because you would have already seen great stuff at Raja and Komodo that is similar and probably better. It might be interesting to spend the time at Manado to do muck diving in Lembeh if you have never done it. It’s a short trip for muck but you can determine if you like it or not without committing too much time to it.

What time of year are you going? That may also determine what your options are in each area.

Visa issue very easy. You do not need a sosbud. When you arrive at the airport, go to the counter that says "Visa on Arrival". They will try to wave you past. Simply say "60 days". Pay $35 and you have your 60day visa on arrival. You can pay in USD.

You can also get a 60-day visa stamped in your passport before coming, but there is no need.

If you get a 30-day visa and overstay, it is not a huge issue, but you will have to pay about $75 per day of overstay. The day you arrive is DAY 1.

- Bill

Hey SlowSBC,
Regarding the visa consideration, two options you have that might save you some money and wasted time.

1. You can get a social visa from the Indonesian embassy which is called Sosial budaya - it's easy to get, normally the processes is between 3 and 7 days.
2. You can use one of the visa agencies in Bali... these agencies are mostly operated by foreigners but I am recommending you CCI, located in Sanur. They're safe :)

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

This is partially irrelevant, and partially incorrect.

For a sosbud visa you need a sponsor, and who is going to sponsor them from the US? I think you need to be in Bali actually first. Also it's unnecessary as I explained in another post.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom