Indonesia for 34 days - How long is long enough on each?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally with the Agung situation - I'd disregard all preplanning except if you were doing a lob (plan around that) and pay for flights into Jakarta tand maybe Makassar and see from there. Yo would know in the weeks before you go where things are at.

I haven't found any trouble booking days prior seems the dive trail is well met by airlines so you usually find more than one option.

Negative entries are to me, the best way to enter...to each their own have fun

There were a few drift dives in Raja Ampat. On some of these dives, the most challenging part for some of the divers was the negative entry and making sure that we made the split point, otherwise you would be screwed if you went over the top of the reef instead of to either side of it. Once you get past the split, it's pretty relaxing...Just go with the flow. Not all dives that had crazy current at the split ended up being drift. Some ended up being really calm. Others, a regular drft. I brought my reef hook and only used it once - it wasn't even really necessary but I brought it just in case and thought I could save on some air consumption and get longer bottom time. The currents are not as bad as they were in Komodo, though. This was in October for Raja and September for Komodo that I am referencing. I think Raja Ampat is more beginner friendly than Komodo as well.

@outofoffcebrb, during the full moon, the currents were a bit strong for most divers. I’d venture to guess that most divers had to use reef hooks. Many of the divers had lots of experience (1000+ dives), especially for the photographers. On the leeside of the reef or in protected bays, the dive was more relaxed. Many divers were struggling in the currents.

Last edited:
Hi There,
Would anybody tell me about Dampier Strait, RA in terms of dive spots? There is a opportunity to go there for one week. I would like to know how is diving versus Kri and/or Misool in terms of Land based.
Thanks

@outofoffcebrb, during the full moon, the currents were a bit strong for most divers. I’d venture to guess that most divers had to use reef hooks. Many of the divers had lots of experience (1000+ dives), especially for the photographers. On the leeside of the reef or in protected bays, the dive was more relaxed. Many divers were struggling in the currents.

Yeah, like us. Word to the wise: check the moon cycle before committing to a trip, and maybe don't start a trip at a full moon cycle, not to mention right on a super moon like we just did. Sheesh.

But after a few days, it was fine. It was great !

- Bill & Emily

Hi There,
Would anybody tell me about Dampier Strait, RA in terms of dive spots? There is a opportunity to go there for one week. I would like to know how is diving versus Kri and/or Misool in terms of Land based.
Thanks

Just came back from Dampier Strait (Cape Kri, Mansuar, Saonek, Blue Magic etc.) 2 weeks ago. It’s fantastic, lots of fish, better than Misool, where I was 3 weeks ago.

Check out these pix I took in Dampier Strait:
km1827966.jpg
km1828021.jpg
km1828041.jpg
km1828105.jpg
lm1828172.jpg
lm1828238.jpg
lm1828264.jpg

My wife and I booked a trip to Indonesia for 34 days. After booking we have learned the visa upon arrival will expire in 30 days. I understand getting an extension can be challenging and time consuming. Rather than battle that issue we have decided to leave the country for several days to Thailand for 4-7 days.

We plan to dive Komodo, Manado, Raja Ampat and Bali. I am trying to figure out how long is long enough for each destination. From reading this forum and others it seems the below will be OK?

Komodo - 7 days
Manado - 4 days
Raja Ampat - 7 days
Bali - 7 days

Thailand the remaining of time.

Should I increase or decrease any days of these destinations?

You guys were a huge help for our trip to the Philippines and I am hoping for the same input from you guys.

Thanks for any and all help.

My suggestion is to pick Raja Ampat liveaboard as the anchor date point and pick a dive resort before & after Raja Ampat.
For example (chronologically):
1. Fly from home to Singapore & Manado.
2. Stay in a dive resort in Lembeh.
3. Fly to So Wrong
4. Take a liveaboard in Raja Ampat.
5. Fly to Denpasar.
6. Dive Nusa Penida & land touring Bali
7. Fly to Labuan Bajo
8. Stay in dive resort / liveaboard (if schedule fits)
9. Fly back to Denpasar & home

I mention diving Nusa Penida, instead of Tulamben, due to Mt.Agung situation. I was in Bali on Dec 3-5, see my post in this thread: Diving from Singapore January 2018? and had a great time then. Diving was fantastic (saw 6 Oceanic Mantas in Manta Point), no much tourist during land tours & traffic was a breeze (reminded me the fond I had there 10 years ago). It’s the best time to be in Bali is now!

Last edited:
Just came back from Dampier Strait (Cape Kri, Mansuar, Saonek, Blue Magic etc.) 2 weeks ago. It’s fantastic, lots of fish, better than Misool, where I was 3 weeks ago.

/QUOTE]
When do we get a trip report?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom