New diver wants lobsters, needs advice..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrdiver

Reaction score
I did my BOW dives at Old Garden Beach and saw many small lobsters there...As well as about a dozen (conservative estimate) other divers...Saw one come out with about 3-5 good-sized bugs in his bag...Others have told me that this area is 'heavily picked over' and I am now looking for other areas to do some lobster dives...I would greatly appreciate any input from experienced NE divers on other areas to get a few decent lobsters...Thanks in advance! MRdiver..WMass :D

I'm not a lobster diver, but I dive with them all the time. You're always going to stand a better chance in areas that are less dives, less accessible.

OGB is an easy sandy entry...everyone dives there and its been picked over a thousand times.

Normans Woe, Halibut Point...I no these are less frequented aras in Cape Ann.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to talk to the guys who really do it...wait for either RickL or Spectre to show their faces.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Magnolia Rocks and Cathedral ledge are great area's for bugs. If you have a boat or want to pay a charter. Egg Rock tends to have many,many bugs there. I used to have my own secret spot, when I lived in Mass and had a license.

Hi -

I dove Old Garden yesterday and managed to find one keeper. RickL was there, and grabbed way more than me! I'll let him comment on his hunting techniques :clapping:

I do agree that the more heavily dived spots will have fewer keepers. Some of the best Lobster takes I've had were boat dives that weren't accessable from shore. This is one of the main reasons that I tried diving from a kayak! It's amazing what you can find when you paddle outside the range of the shore divers!

Gary

garyd once bubbled...
RickL was there, and grabbed way more than me! I'll let him comment on his hunting techniques :clapping:

I can comment on his hunting techniques. Remember back in Star Wars, where Luke is standing on his head moving around yoda with his mind? Well, those same Jedi mind tricks is what RickL uses to spontanously draw huge bugs into his hands!

However, he's gotten a little lopsided lately, and his jedi mind trick only works on pregnant females at the moment!

Oh... and as far as good places.. I'm not the person to ask. I've never had much luck in Cape Ann... I've only pulled a couple max in a day. There are a number of places I'd like to try, but I've not gotten around to be to terribly adventurous...

The true lobster hunters are definately RickL, livestodive, and decapoddiver...

Dont forget your lightsaber um well flashlight :)
Find the rocks and lobsters you will find!
The force will not remove the lobsters from under your hands you must use hehe.

Ok enough of that :)
I look under everything I realy like the cuts in the ledges!
And dont think they are just in deep water. Ive got tons of lobsters with my tank almost out of the water. Go where the other divers dont go! Like at follys dont dive the wall on the left.
(unless you want to see lobsters with no claws in shell shock :)
dive to the right up in the rocks its shallow but you will see more lobsters and get more bottom time! If you have to surface swim to where the rocks are to get more quality time with our clawed friends. That way you will meet more friends to invite home for dinner :) I made a 3/8 ss tubing pole spear about 5 feet long with a 4inch L bent on the end opposite the spear end. I dont use it to drag out or force them anywhere! You flash your light in the lobsters face then work the L belind it. 75% of the time when the L hits their tail they spin around pull the L towards you they will fin right into you! Anouther spear trick if there is more than one exit under the rock. Is to work them to the other hole leave the spear and grab them from the other hole.
Just a few tips to get you started!!
Rick L

As Rick L stated look everywhere. I get most of mine at Old Garden Beach. Usually after most have given up looking. Don't worry about them being picked over. Most are not even seen.

Make your gear fit your purpose. From a boat I use a large game bag. From shore I use a smaller one, helps with drag and won't get snagged so much. I don't use a tickle stick but if you are going to make sure the length doesn't interfere.

You have to be able to judge the size without catching them. This is important you can waste a lot of your air measuring small bugs. I Usually judge them by how much it is going to hurt if they get me. The ones that look like they will break a finger are usually good. hehehe... true tho

Where to find them. Look for, rocky mussel beds, new looking debris ouitside a hole, and antenae. I get more big ones that I see the antenae (sp) first.

Anouther tip on size If it looks like it might be big enough its allways a short!!!! When it's a keeper size it looks big :)
Rick L

Rick L once bubbled...
Anouther tip on size If it looks like it might be big enough its allways a short!!!! When it's a keeper size it looks big :)

Ahh... yes. Perhaps it is time for my motto:

"If it ain't scary... it ain't legal!"

The last time id seen one that big it was fighting godzilla on monster island!! hehe
Now you know what I did every sat. morning as a kid :)
I loved creature double feature.
Rick L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom