New diver wants lobsters, needs advice..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another "trick" is that if you're in an area that should have bugs, STOP. Just hover for a bit and really look around. You'd be suprised how often they just appear. Also, I know it's not PC to do but, be a mud-sucker and use a good dive light. You won't see nearly as many bugs if you're 5' off the bottom since you can't see back into most holes. I use a tickle stick and it works well. After time, you'll be able to gauge size just by sight. Until then, be extra careful handling the bugs. If you cause a lobster to lose a claw, it will not molt again until it regrows the limb i.e. get big enough to keep:wink: Another tip is that the reason your secret spot is sooooo good is that it's a SECRET:) That's not to say that you shouldn't share, just be very careful who you tell and take. I made the mistake of telling a diver I had never dove with about a great new spot not listed on any dive site or map and the next weekend I met 6 different divers at my spot (In 5 years I had never seen another diver there). Bad luck? Maybe. My new rule is : Dive with me first and we'll talk special spots post-dive:D

Scott

P.S. Here's my haul from last Sunday

I have never BEEN bug hunting before... how do you actually CATCH them? They are pretty fast - no? Do you go for the claws, the back or what?

Also - how do you identify a pregnant female? :) haha no jokes... :)

Covered with thousands of tiny eggs. No. I didn't catch and keep this one:) I got this picture from The Lobster Institute (I think). I got it for a lecture I gave on (believe it or not)....lobsters :D

Scott

You use your tickle stick to tickle them. Then, while they're rolling around on their backs, laughing themselves silly and totally oblivious to that big ugly thing next to them, you grab'em and bag'em.:D

Seriously, you use the stick to lure (or tickle) them out of their hole, then, while they're distracted, you quickly lunge your hand and grab them by their back. Preferrably far enough back on the carapace so that they can't grab you with their claws. This is how I do it anyways, there may be other techniques. Gravid females will have lots of little black eggs under their tails. You simply turn them over and look.

-Roman.

zboss once bubbled...
I have never BEEN bug hunting before... how do you actually CATCH them? They are pretty fast - no? Do you go for the claws, the back or what?

Distract them with one hand/tickle stick and then grab them from behind so they can't "bite" you with their claws. When they swim, they swim backwards, if that helps.

Also - how do you identify a pregnant female? :) haha no jokes... :)

They have eggs under their tale...thousands of them. They also walk with their tails curled up underneath them.

Hmm old garden isn't as picked over as some would say!
GaryD and I dove there today we got 19 lobsters:thumb:
So even picked over places can be productive!!!
Oh yea great vis water 53 degrees nice dives!!!!!!!!!
Rick L

Did two dives today and ended up with a total of 24 bugs. Best day I've had this year. Vis was 15'. Water temp 48° at depth. No waves or surge. It was beautiful! I'm very glad I was diving dry:wink:

Back
Top Bottom