New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to diving. I started two weeks ago. My first class was fine, but the second class I kind of panicked. It was the first time being under water with my scuba gear. I think what scared me was breathing under water. My mind kept telling me this not normal, so I just freaked out. I really hope this is a normal reaction for first time divers. Towards the end of class it got a little better. Then I had problems staying at the bottom of the pool so I couldn't do my skills because I kept floating to the top. This aggravated me to know end. I'm going to get additional weights, hopefully this will help in my next class. Nice chatting with you.

Don't worry about the weight problem, It happened to me as well. In fact I still have problems guessing. It will change with almost every dive depending on whether you are diving in FSW or SW with or with out a wet suit and the mil thickness. What you have to do is just do trial and error and keep records of the amount of weight you use each time in your dive log. That way if you haven't dove in a particular area for a while you can just refer back to your notes.

Where are you from? You should put your local in the avatar info.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Hi Chawnybaby! Remember, you are a mammal and mammals cannot breathe underwater therefore it is perfectly normal for your mind to say "STOP!" when you inhale with your face in the water. We all have to learn to quiet the inner mammal when we start diving and some people have a harder time getting the thing to shut up than other people, this is normal. You'll get the hang of it! I hope you have the opportunity to get plenty of pool time in because the more time you work on skills in a controlled environment the easier they are when you go to the open water. If you feel you need more time make sure you let the instructor know.

As for the floating to the surface, as you learn to relax that will get better and you'll be able to shed lead from the weightbelt. Focus on exhaling completely when you breathe, you'll soon find that it doesn't take much air in your lungs to make you start to float :D

Good luck, enjoy your new sport!
Ber :lilbunny:

I have worked with many students who have the same issues. It's something to think about, but pretty normal and if you stick with it you'll be able to work past these minor problems.

Some good exercises which have helped my students with the freaking out about breathing underwater are:

1. Sit in shallow water with the top of the mask out. This way your eyes can see above the water, but your mouth and nose (inside the mask) are below water. Breath normally, play some hand games (paper scissors rocks, etc), and relax. Close your eyes and daydream for a couple of minutes. Nothing exciting is going on, you're just relaxing in the pool.

2. Lay down on the bottom of the pool in 4 feet of water and do the same thing. Now your whole body is underwater, but once again, just relax and breath. Daydream a little. Imagine getting a massage as lay in the warm pool water.

3. Now open your eyes and start slowly, gently swimming around. Try to swim in slow motion. Take several minutes to swim across the pool...

The idea here is to just totally relax and stop thinking about scuba, breathing, etc.

Your instructor will no doubt have his/her own ideas to help you with this. These are just some of the tools I've used in similar situations.

Don't be afraid to request an extra pool session if you need it to get comfortable. It's fair for the instructor to charge you for this, but if it helps you enjoy scuba instead of feeling panicky about it then its worth it.

Best Regards and Welcome!

~Merlin

chawnybaby:
Hello,

I'm new to diving. I started two weeks ago. My first class was fine, but the second class I kind of panicked. It was the first time being under water with my scuba gear. I think what scared me was breathing under water. My mind kept telling me this not normal, so I just freaked out. I really hope this is a normal reaction for first time divers. Towards the end of class it got a little better. Then I had problems staying at the bottom of the pool so I couldn't do my skills because I kept floating to the top. This aggravated me to know end. I'm going to get additional weights, hopefully this will help in my next class. Nice chatting with you.
WHAT?? Breathing underwater??? That's just crazy!
Welcome to a great board full of other crazies. :eyebrow:

Welcome to SCUBA board and the world of diving. This is a great place to learn.

It's a real new thing for you so don't worry about the anxiety. Thats normal. If you can take your mind away from the fear of being under water, and have trust in you equipment and your training, you'll be fine. In those anxious moments just stop, control your breathing, and calm yourself down. We've all been there, so we know exactly what your going through.

Enjoy yourself, know your limitations, and stay safe.

Bill :eyebrow:

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Welcome...and may the diving force be with you.

Just don't quit and you'll be fine, promise. Aahh, and the rewards you'll get!!!

Just do your homework, dive safe...and you will be asking yourself, how in the world you could've lived without it all your life.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Ask anything - in the appropriate forum, and we'll make up an answer...

don

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom