New divers and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK – I’m a bit nervous about posting this question, because I don’t want to start a minor riot, but here goes.

I understand the importance, especially for new divers, of understanding how to plan your dive, chart your profile and calculate your NDL limits using tables. I get it, I really do! I also get that even for experienced divers, you should still carefully plan your dives and have an analog backup to a computer (ie depth gauge, watch and tables), given that computers are obviously not infallible.

When we logged our last two cert dives, we were slightly off the tables, but well within the limits of the instructor’s computer. When asked for advice, our instructor suggested that one of our first pieces of gear should computers (one for each of us, obviously). I’ve also read the threads where many of you have argued very convincingly that new divers shouldn’t start with computers because they should be completely familiar with the tables first.

But given our limited diving opportunities, when we travel, I don’t want to miss a moment of safe diving by only using tables. So what do I do?

Simple, get a computer........

When I started college oh so many years ago ... the instructor held up a slide rule and said "the university says I have to show you a slide rule, this is what it looks like" then threw it back in the desk. Then he held up a calculator and said, "this is a calculator, go buy one!" If you don't know what you are doing, a computer/calculator can help you make bigger mistakes faster, without even knowing it. On the other hand, if you do, it can reduce the workload in any environment. I have no intention of tossing the tables until it is quite clear I know what I'm doing with the tables. (I know I will stop using them eventually)

Get a computer.
In the begining, plan you dives off the tables, use the compter to double check yourself.
Computers can be used for a lot more than dive planning. you can also use them to keep track of your dives, max depth, bottom time, temp etc, much better and easier than analog gauges.

Simple answer - dive a computer - understand the tables.

The table assumes a square profile the computer does not.

Amberjack:
OK – I’m a bit nervous about posting this question, because I don’t want to start a minor riot, but here goes.

I understand the importance, especially for new divers, of understanding how to plan your dive, chart your profile and calculate your NDL limits using tables. I get it, I really do! I also get that even for experienced divers, you should still carefully plan your dives and have an analog backup to a computer (ie depth gauge, watch and tables), given that computers are obviously not infallible.

When we logged our last two cert dives, we were slightly off the tables, but well within the limits of the instructor’s computer. When asked for advice, our instructor suggested that one of our first pieces of gear should computers (one for each of us, obviously). I’ve also read the threads where many of you have argued very convincingly that new divers shouldn’t start with computers because they should be completely familiar with the tables first.

But given our limited diving opportunities, when we travel, I don’t want to miss a moment of safe diving by only using tables. So what do I do?
first let me get this straight. You were off the dables on your dive, but withing your instructors dive computer ndl's? Your instructor should not have let you make this dive, as students you are required to stay withing the ndl's of the tables not a computer.

Ok Enough venting. get a computer, learn how it works, learn the tables backwards and forwards. really KNOW them. Use the computer but know where you are at all times as far as the tables go.

duckster3d:
first let me get this straight. You were off the dables on your dive, but withing your instructors dive computer ndl's? .

Yes, we were off the tables by literally a couple of minutes but lots within the computer's NDLs.

duckster3d:
Use the computer but know where you are at all times as far as the tables go.

I understand I should always know where I am with regards to the tables - but presumably, on some dives using a computer you will be off the tables and still be very safely with NDLs, correct?

It is important to use the tables while in class to understand the mechanics behind safe diving. By using the tables you should understand how bottom time, depth, and surface intervals are all factors when NDL diving. A computer will constanly measure your depth vs. base your dive on your max depth when using tables. Your instructor unfortunately failed to allow to following the profiles used in NDL chart diving, but now you see the benefit of computer diving-more time on the bottom.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but buy a computer, know your tables and stick to what you have learned. diving a computer dose give you more bottom time but they can fail and you should always have some kind of back up. Also when buying a computer which can be very expensive do your research and think about what type of diving you are doing and may want to do in the future. Don't buy the one that a shop tells you that you need. do your research their are alot of computers that are not worth a crap that a shop will sell you just to get it off their shelf. I have seen it to many times.

Loneranger:
Your instructor unfortunately failed to allow to following the profiles used in NDL chart diving, but now you see the benefit of computer diving-more time on the bottom.
I see what you're saying, but to be fair to the instructor, he absolutely used it as a 'teaching opportunity.' And he did impress on us the need to take everything into account - ie, surface intervals, max. depth, bottom time - to plan our dives and calculate our NDLs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom