New divers and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duckster3d:
first let me get this straight. You were off the dables on your dive, but withing your instructors dive computer ndl's? Your instructor should not have let you make this dive, as students you are required to stay withing the ndl's of the tables not a computer.

That was our first thought when we read this... a poor intructor choice - even with computers you dive to the most conservative reading.

And I agree with everyone else. The tables are good to understand, but the computer will allow you to do multi-level diving without having to learn the PADI wheel.

Tables are easy. 10 year olds fully understand tables at the end of my class. Why would anyone encourage limiting your diving experience by telling someone to stay on tables

Get the computer and enjoy

If you get a computer, then get the USB download cable as well. At the end of your dive trips upload the dives, look at the graph, compare the result to your tables - try to see how you would have planned that multilevel dive, look at how fast your ascents were, how well you managed your buoyancy on safety stops, calculate your SAC and so forth. I think new divers can learn a lot from analyzng their dives - especially the SAC rates were especially useful for me because now I have a pretty good idea of how long I will last in different types of situations and I can accurately track my progress as I contiune to work on my breathing technique.

Amberjack:
OK – I’m a bit nervous about posting this question, because I don’t want to start a minor riot, but here goes.

I understand the importance, especially for new divers, of understanding how to plan your dive, chart your profile and calculate your NDL limits using tables. I get it, I really do! I also get that even for experienced divers, you should still carefully plan your dives and have an analog backup to a computer (ie depth gauge, watch and tables), given that computers are obviously not infallible.

When we logged our last two cert dives, we were slightly off the tables, but well within the limits of the instructor’s computer. When asked for advice, our instructor suggested that one of our first pieces of gear should computers (one for each of us, obviously). I’ve also read the threads where many of you have argued very convincingly that new divers shouldn’t start with computers because they should be completely familiar with the tables first.

But given our limited diving opportunities, when we travel, I don’t want to miss a moment of safe diving by only using tables. So what do I do?

Just how far off the tables were you???

Out of curiosity, how long did he hold you at your SAFETY Stop??

Did he provide prophylactic O2??

Amberjack:
But given our limited diving opportunities, when we travel, I don’t want to miss a moment of safe diving by only using tables. So what do I do?

I totally agree wioth your first 2 paragraphs that the computer should be at the end of the shopping list.

However the quoted paragraph is the exception to the rule. If you want to get the most out of you vacation $$ (and you should) then it's a no brainer. Get the computer.

We make out first dive trip in April and we will have invested by then.

Pete

PaulChristenson:
You ARE joking, aren't you? Clearly this was a case of a multilevel dive that was in reality conservative, even though when calculated using square profiles on the tables was a few minutes into deco.

I'm not advocating ignoring tables, relying upon someone else to do the deco tracking, or using someone elses computer, but OTOH, the situation described doesn't call for O2.

Al Mialkovsky:
Why would anyone encourage limiting your diving experience by telling someone to stay on tables

In my experience many divers early dives aren't even close to being limited by tables. Some shell out for a computer while having not invested in other gear that's more useful to them. It all depends on what types of dives, gear and air usage the new diver has. I agree some have a need sooner than others.

As mentioned the intense repetitive dive trip is the slam dunk decsion maker to buy.

Pete

spectrum:
In my experience many divers early dives aren't even close to being limited by tables.
I hit the problem of being off tables on my 3rd dive after cert, which was also my first boat dive. Even as a real airhog, a multilevel dive of 35 minutes to 65' max, followed by another dive an hour later is off the charts. The rental reg set included a computer, for just this reason.

Amberjack -- "understanding the tables" is highly overrated. Many people know how the mechanically calculate deco per the tables without having the slightest clue about the basis of the tables. While I do advocate learning about decompression, that isn't accomplished by merely becoming proficient in cranking square profile dives through a table.

For multilevel dives, one cheap and practical alternative to a computer is a multilevel planning tool such as the PADI Wheel. Still not as good of tracking as a computer, but much better than a normal table.

PaulChristenson:

Dear Lord, no. We were about two minutes off the tables. We spent the first half of the dive doing skills at a shallower depth, then did some diving that took us a bit deeper, (but relatively briefly) then we did a very slow ascent (slower than 30/feet per minute), had a full 3 min safety stop, and I can't remember what was left on his computer exactly, but we were well within his limits. AND, he came into the dive still off-gassing (I think this is the correct term) from his dives the day before (which his computer would have reflected in his NDLs), and we didn't dive the previous day.

AND, now that I think about it, it might have been that dive that we practiced a CESA and so spent some time on the surface.

There was no way we were ever close to being in trouble.

spectrum:
As mentioned the intense repetitive dive trip is the slam dunk decsion maker to buy.

Pete

That's my thinking...I don't want to be a 'lazy' or unsafe diver, but I want to get the most out of my experience. I plan to keep learning and praticising all my skills, including use of tables. If I buy I computer, I'll lean towards a more conservative one, and I'll use it in conjunction with the tables.

The other argument made above, about being able to use the computer to track my dives over time, is another excellent one.

I'm beginning to feel better about a potential computer purchase!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom