Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SLOW
I just saved you $1000

My buddy has ear problems at the start of a trip. He gets better the more dives he does and the more he clears his sinuses while descending. Once he got a reverse block and had to sit out that day. I just wait for him at depth usually. Once he gets down, we just dive like normal. Don't feel like you have to hurry down to stay with the group.

SLOW
I just saved you $1000

My buddy has ear problems at the start of a trip. He gets better the more dives he does and the more he clears his sinuses while descending. Once he got a reverse block and had to sit out that day. I just wait for him at depth usually. Once he gets down, we just dive like normal. Don't feel like you have to hurry down to stay with the group.
Thank you so much for saving me $1000!!!!! I am also worrying wether i will have enough air to use if i go really slow.
This trip for me is to get certified (the advanced one), and a deep dive is required. I am getting really nervous for this one (maybe freaked out a little bit) lol

Thank you so much for your info.
The reason i am looking for a dive computer is because it will help (i assume) me finding out a descending rate for myself, then i can follow this rate in future dives. I know my ears are the best monitor for that, but would it be helpful if i have a data to look at?
No it will not help. Follow what your ears tell you. They are the only monitor. Having data to look at will not be helpful. And every day will not be the same anyway. Or every situation.

I don't think most computers even display descent rate, there's usually limited space and unlike ascent rate it's not important to know. I wonder if the Descent may even be unique in that?

I am also worrying wether i will have enough air to use if i go really slow.
This trip for me is to get certified (the advanced one), and a deep dive is required. I am getting really nervous for this one (maybe freaked out a little bit) lol
As far as air, you use what you use and you have left what you have left. It's ok. You and your instructor will deal with it whatever it is. Maybe your dive is a little shorter. The shallow part is the hardest for equalizing, and you will be using less air there. Once I get down to some depth I'm ok. My buddy is used to looking up at me when he's zoomed down and I have to take my time.

It's time to try and relax and not overthink things too much. I know easier to say than do. :)

No it will not help. Follow what your ears tell you. They are the only monitor. Having data to look at will not be helpful. And every day will not be the same anyway. Or every situation.

I don't think most computers even display descent rate, there's usually limited space and unlike ascent rate it's not important to know. I wonder if the Descent may even be unique in that?

As far as air, you use what you use and you have left what you have left. It's ok. You and your instructor will deal with it whatever it is. Maybe your dive is a little shorter. The shallow part is the hardest for equalizing, and you will be using less air there. Once I get down to some depth I'm ok. My buddy is used to looking up at me when he's zoomed down and I have to take my time.

It's time to try and relax and not overthink things too much. I know easier to say than do. :)
Thank you, i think i overthink too much, its the type of pain i would never forget lol

Most computers log your depth for later analysis, on a computer. You might descend as you need safely for your ears, and then later look on the computer what the rate was. Gives a sense, after the fact, of if your sensitivity is decreasing.

"Equalize early, equalize often"

On land, Equalize when you wake up, equalize whilst eating breakfast, equalize as you walk to the boat, equalize before entering the water.

I know that sounds funny and I'm not talking about holding your nose and blowing. The equalization on land is similar to the way you equalize on a plane during take off and landing pressure changes. It's like exercise for your ears. Do it every time you think of it. Think of it often.

I would like to second the Neti Pot recommendation. It is amazing how much easier it is to clear when your sinuses have been cleaned out. Also, Doc's Ear Dryer has been a good investment for me. I get ear infections when diving fresh water and using a vinegar/alcohol mixture plus the ear dryer has completely eliminated this issue for me. My final recommendation is to try to learn to equalize using Frenzel technique. I find it to be easier than the Valsalva.

Just keep diving!

Is descending along a line an option? Having something to hold on to, or at least look at, might help more with slowing your descent than a computer.

You did everything you could except STOP DESCENDING!

If it hurts, stop. Go no farther.

Trinkets and doodads aren’t the answer. Control in the water and not continuing your descent when you feel pressure is.

Thank you so much for your info.
The reason i am looking for a dive computer is because it will help (i assume) me finding out a descending rate for myself, then i can follow this rate in future dives. I know my ears are the best monitor for that, but would it be helpful if i have a data to look at?
Not in the least because it may very well vary from day to day. You descend only as fast as you can and your buddy has to live with that. If they can't, dump em. As for the deep dive and worrying about whether you have enough air, the advanced class should teach you how to calculate that based on your breathing rate and the size cylinder you are using. If it doesn't, the class is a waste of money and you are not getting what you are paying for. If you need more gas, a bigger cylinder or pony bottle should be used to ensure adequate reserves.
You may not be able to do the deep dive. That's the reality. If not, it's fine. Most of the life is above 60 ft. The good wrecks are deeper but many people never dive below 40ft and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom