New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just pulled the trigger on buying a Blacktip. Wondered about whether these batteries would fit given the larger 21700s - Milwaukee M18 High Output HD 12.0?

Congrats, hope you like it.

The Milwaukee batteries will not fit unless you find some adapter. We don't support this or do any testing with Milwaukee batteries. As far as I'm aware Milwaukee have done nothing to support shipping or travel, so all the big batteries require hazmat shipping and cannot be flown.
http://documents.milwaukeetool.com/eService/5255a096dc304b14b1a00eae72fbcc30.pdf

So unless you are really vested in the Milwaukee ecosystem, there are no positives and some pretty big negatives.

Thanks for the info! I'm a long ways off, but a DPV is tentatively on the distant radar, so I've been watching this with interest. I was also curious about using M18 batteries, because I'm already pretty heavily invested in them. Seems like DeWalt have done their homework on this one.

Now I'm curious about the real world though. Any experience actually flying with or shipping these? I know I've spent many extra hours in airports debating with TSA over regulations for flying with firearms, or the tiny amount of explosive in my parachute - despite both having clearly written guidance on how they are to be handled, even when I have that info printed and with me to share. I can imagine a frustrating conversation where the TSA agent knows "that battery is too big," and won't accept DeWalt's solution. Which, to be fair...DeWalt's solution is technically compliant, but pretty blatantly circumvents the intent of the controls - that being avoiding having too high a concentration of volatile materials in close proximity.

I would checkout the X scooter group on facebook as several people have already been flying with Blacktips just fine. There are links to all the battery paperwork if needed, But Im pretty sure no one has needed it
Dive Xtras X-Scooter Group Public Group | Facebook

Dont forget too, we have had power tool batteries in our higher end scooters for a long time now and people fly with those constantly.

This is an extremely common technique for getting these batteries on a plane. Every dive light has exactly the same mechanism. Basically, anything that uses any kind of decent power and uses lithium batteries uses this technique.

I’m not saying that will get you through TSA: we all know that being 100% right with a black letter law print out is irrelevant. I’m just saying: they deal with this all over the place. Dewalt is not doing anything unique.

I dove with my Blacktip today for the first time with the Waitley 9.0ah batteries and the scooter was strongly buoyant and heavily nose buoyant. Most of the time was spent fighting to keep the nose down, which was pretty fatiguing. When i got in a good groove though the scooter was awesome. The high speeds were uncomfortably fast due to the crotch strap lol. I was able to get out past the second reef at Lauderdale by the Sea and back and the batteries reported 74% when checked at the end of my dive.

I gorilla taped some lead ingots to the nose and will head back out tomorrow.

How do you fly with the blacktip? Will it just fit inside a large checked bag and if so how do you protect the shroud from being damaged by gorillas? Does the shroud and tailpiece get removed for travel?

Update on the blacktip, after weighting it down, it's very slightly negative. I took the blacktip out today and it wouldn't start. I checked it for flooding and it was good. I was about to call the dive when I realized the switch was messed up. Something is causing the switch to stick so i had to use the detent that allows positive disengagement but it worked perfectly after that. The weighting made its manners much better in the water.

Is there any way to user service/clean out the switch?

I plan to attach no fewer than 6 compasses all roughly the size of a baby's head all the way around the tube using several tubes of Aquaseal. Can you please post a graph detailing how that might affect runtime and trim? :wink:

Looks like a very cool new scooter, Ben.

And ladies and gentlemen, he's back....

And the applause of a grateful online dive community can be heard for miles around.

- Ken

And ladies and gentlemen, he's back....

And the applause of a grateful online dive community can be heard for miles around.

- Ken
lol.. good to see you, Ken. Hope things are well.

Back
Top Bottom