New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, I wrote 2 bars of battery left in my last post, but one of my buddies saw it and corrected me. We had 3 bars left! After almost 2 hours in the water, most of it on the trigger.

When he reminded me, I put my batteries back in my scooter to check and it did show 3 bars. I had not charged them since we got back. They will just sit like they are until the next time I'm getting ready to go diving.

(Remember: Don't leave your batteries in the scooter!)

Here is the side by side comparison video I filmed with the original firmware and the new free update DiveX released for all BlackTip owners.

I recognize that video and those scooters. I didn't know you were, well, you! LOL :D

I recognize that video and those scooters. I didn't know you were, well, you! LOL :D

LOL Yeah my Scubaboard handle was from the scary days of the internet when everyone tried to stay anonymous. Now most people use their real names and I have to admit, it's a lot less confusing.

OK dumb question alert. How did a firmware update change the noise of physical parts?

The blue looks to by a vinyl sticker carbon fiber pattern. Is the red painted or vinyl as well?

OK dumb question alert. How did a firmware update change the noise of physical parts?

The blue looks to by a vinyl sticker carbon fiber pattern. Is the red painted or vinyl as well?

Both scooters are vinyl wrapped. There is virtually no mechanical noise produced by these scooters since they are direct drive. The noise is caused by the variation in electrical flow through the coils of the motor. DiveX reprogrammed the drive control to perfectly match the pulses of electrical flow to the motor for each speed. It makes it more efficient on battery life and as a side effect, its silent.

It seems like FM* to me, but it dang sure works! They were not exactly loud before, but they were easy to hear in the water from 20 or 30 feet away, even with a hood on. Now, mine and the other 2 I updated for buddies are so quiet you can barely hear them running - even the one you're driving.

I know one boat captain who does not like scooters and does not allow them on some of his trips. He doesn't like them because they are "too loud and scare away the critters". I am looking forward to a trip with him and seeing what he thinks about my BlackTip. I don't think "too loud" is going to be a valid reason for him anymore. I just wonder if he'll come up with a new reason. Either that or maybe he'll institute a BlackTips Only rule...

*FM == F***ing Magic!

All the cool kids are wrapping their scooters... LOL :D

2020-04-14 20.57.42.jpg

It seems like FM* to me, but it dang sure works! They were not exactly loud before, but they were easy to hear in the water from 20 or 30 feet away, even with a hood on. Now, mine and the other 2 I updated for buddies are so quiet you can barely hear them running - even the one you're driving.

I know one boat captain who does not like scooters and does not allow them on some of his trips. He doesn't like them because they are "too loud and scare away the critters". I am looking forward to a trip with him and seeing what he thinks about my BlackTip. I don't think "too loud" is going to be a valid reason for him anymore. I just wonder if he'll come up with a new reason. Either that or maybe he'll institute a BlackTips Only rule...

*FM == F***ing Magic!
LOL
The non-scooter captains always have an excuse...
too heavy, too noisy, too disruptive, take up too much space, split up the group too much
It's a never ending reason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom