New equipment for beginner, need advice. (Sony A6500 with house)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isnt that a general rule for water with flat port?

Yup, in general you'll lose coverage through a flat port. I haven't seen an actual number for GoPro, which is why I asked. With that said, again, you want to be on the wider end, not in normal telephoto range.

You can't directly compare the 'focal length' of a fisheye lens to a rectilinear lens. A fisheye lens will have a much wider angle of view than a rectilinear lens with the same 'focal length', due to the (designed in) distortion of the fisheye.

However, to complicate matters further, a fisheye lens behind a flat port in water turns in to a more-or-less rectilinear lens due to refraction effects (that loss of coverage) through the flat port. A GoPro in a housing with a flat port underwater has an angle of view roughly similar to a rectilinear 18mm lens (FF equivalent) behind a dome port.

Last edited:
I would still say start out with the 16-50mm zoom in the Nauticam N85 Flat Port 45. And use something like the INON UCL-165M67 that screws to the port, for close-up/Macro. This is an economic option that allows versatility and you to get a good feel of the set-up.

The 16-50mm zoom lens's quality is fine. Lighting, and water quality will be bigger influences on the photos.

Here's a link to some photos from last weekend, using the 16-50mm lens most with UCL-165M67 macro adaptor. https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ao-7OYx97aiXhYthDAlv7u84tyJtVg

Just my 2cent worth :)

Last edited:
Yup, in general you'll lose coverage through a flat port. I haven't seen an actual number for GoPro, which is why I asked. With that said, again, you want to be on the wider end, not in normal telephoto range.

Ah ok, i though it was the same for everything behind flat glas, like the mask work on our eyes.

You can't directly compare the 'focal length' of a fisheye lens to a rectilinear lens. A fisheye lens will have a much wider angle of view than a rectilinear lens with the same 'focal length', due to the (designed in) distortion of the fisheye.

However, to complicate matters further, a fisheye lens behind a flat port in water turns in to a more-or-less rectilinear lens due to refraction effects (that loss of coverage) through the flat port. A GoPro in a housing with a flat port underwater has an angle of view roughly similar to a rectilinear 18mm lens (FF equivalent) behind a dome port.

I see. Will have to read more about this. I wont use a flat port for 10-18, thats not an option if you go with aquatica house.

I would still say start out with the 16-50mm zoom in the Nauticam N85 Flat Port 45. And use something like the INON UCL-165M67 that screws to the port, for close-up/Macro. This is an economic option that allows versatility and you to get a good feel of the set-up.

The 16-50mm zoom lens's quality is fine. Lighting, and water quality will be bigger influences on the photos.

Here's a link to some photos from last weekend, using the 16-50mm lens most with UCL-165M67 macro adaptor. https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ao-7OYx97aiXhYthDAlv7u84tyJtVg

Just my 2cent worth :)

Thanks for input and pictures. I do feel the 16-50 is in a better range. Still considering getting that one. But i am pretty sure i will get the house from aquatica so flat port is not an option. They have there own system for wet macro lenses but i think i will grab the 90mm macro later on when i get more comfortable with the camera.

So that link to Aquatica is the 6300 housing, are they the same does anyone know?

So that link to Aquatica is the 6300 housing, are they the same does anyone know?

No, they will make another house for a6500. But as they are almost identical, it will only take 6 weeks after the a6500 is released. That is what i have been told.

Hmm, I hope that is true but the A6300 was announced Aug 24, and isn't yet out as far as I can tell. If the 6500 housing will be out shortly then it might be worth waiting.

I'm considering a 6300 now, with the Aquatica housing using some Ikelite strobes. Looks like with the 16-50 you could also put their flip down macro lens on the camera for a pretty versatile shooter, nearly everything in one go.

Hmm, I hope that is true but the A6300 was announced Aug 24, and isn't yet out as far as I can tell. If the 6500 housing will be out shortly then it might be worth waiting.

I'm considering a 6300 now, with the Aquatica housing using some Ikelite strobes. Looks like with the 16-50 you could also put their flip down macro lens on the camera for a pretty versatile shooter, nearly everything in one go.

I quote aquatica:

"In this case we should be fast to the market since our 6300 housing will be very close to the 6500.Our 6300 housing will retail for $1650 USD,this includes a strap on nthe right side and an adjustable tray and two grips.
Delivery should be about 6 weeks after the camera release."

Back
Top Bottom