new equipment reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All good brands. There have been some developments on the middle spectrum gear though. I love my Deep 6 regs and they are great value. Brands like HOG etc are also worth a look at depending where you are in the world. Mares have some value offerings as well.
live in Miami. found out about location when I lived in Colombia and tried to get my scubapro serviced.

thanks. I'll try to stay with the classics. aqualung, oceanic, genesis

For regulators:

Atomic
Scubapro
AquaLung
Zeagle

Recreational Dive Computers:
Oceanic
AquaLung

BC's
Scubapro
Zeagle
AquaLung
Oceanic

I wouldn't buy anything Cressi scuba.
When was the last time you dove them? I find that unusually strong opinions are held by those with little to no experience on the products. Have you even dove these regs, or have you denigrated this to a "Chevy vs Ford" discussion???

Check out www.deep6gear.com

Their service process is such that you are unlikely to run into that issue again. @cerich the owner is on here as well, he is in Florida pretty regularly as well I believe.

As far as performance vs price I don't think there is anything to compete.

I know it's a cliche but a good BP/W costs less than a good BCD and cost of ownership over time tends to be less (standard parts, modular etc) Deep 6 also has them now, worth looking at in a package.

As far as BCD go Zeagle is good but pricy. Oceanic does some very nice light travel BC at a low cost (check Biolite)

Dive computers I like the Deepblu Cosmiq as a value computer. Search for any of these on this site and you will get a ton of info.

When was the last time you dove them? I find that unusually strong opinions are held by those with little to no experience on the products. Have you even dove these regs, or have you denigrated this to a "Chevy vs Ford" discussion???

I have mentioned in SEVERAL posts that we have several Cressi regulators, BC's, computer and they are the worst in performance and reliability!!! I guess you are the chairman and don't pay too much attention.

AND, Ford is generally much better than Chevy, and I have had both!!

I had a couple Cressi second stages (two different ones) that kept having issues. I got tired of paying for their repair and just chucked them.

I have mentioned in SEVERAL posts
Not in this thread, you haven't. But have you personally dove them? I got to play with one this past summer and it was beautiful in fit and finish and breathed rather well. I have too many regs as it is, so I didn't choose them, buy they were far from being horrible. You can get mad at me for asking these kind of questions all you want. I'll stand by my initial observation. Oh, I get the need to be the undisputed authority once you express an opinion and how simple questions can be construed to be a challenge to that authority. If you've done all these tests, where are the results? What's the work of breathing? What are the problems they are having that make them so horrible? So far, all I get is that you don't like them simply because you don't like them. I'm rather underwhelmed with your reasoning and it has nothing to do with me being the Chairman.

Regulator manufacturing savvy is at an all time high. I haven't dove a 'bad regulator' since the turn of the century. If they were 'that bad', then why haven't we read more horror stories about them here on ScubaBoard? [sarcasm] In other news, wearing a mask on your forehead is a sign of dire panic, if you don't dive a BP&Wing, then you're a horrible diver and split fins will ultimately kill you. [/sarcasm]

When it comes to any scuba gear, fit and comfort are what it's all about. Secondary considerations are price, service and availability. If at all possible, rent a set or try one in a pool. Don't let the newness fool you: how does it feel? How does it breath? What's your confidence level in it? What's your confidence level in the shop? What's the price point? Most people rarely buy a second set of regs, so do some research.

BTW, I agree with @RainPilot: this is the best place to research gear.

As far as BCD go Zeagle is good but pricy.
Price out their Express Tech. It's my favorite BC and it retails for about $250 or so. Add a crotch strap and you have a great hybrid between a BP&Wing and back inflate BC. Customize it all you want, but the base price is awesome.

Price out their Express Tech. It's my favorite BC and it retails for about $250 or so. Add a crotch strap and you have a great hybrid between a BP&Wing and back inflate BC. Customize it all you want, but the base price is awesome.
Not seen that one yet, I'll have a look. My wife loved her Zena before going sidemount and my Ranger LTD still gets wet occasionally. Not cheap when I bought either of them though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom