New fish..don't have a clue ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! Looking at the badly-colored photo you just posted, you can see the juvenile coloration in the adult.

Same process definitely won't work for the yellowmouth grouper!

so those are soap fish? they are all overthe place in Destin. Like dogs sometimes lol

We only have one species of soap fish here (that I have ever seen).. and as they happen to like me (I know that says something bad about me.. just not sure what).. I am usually surrounded by them... I had assumed they were the greater soap fish...

soapfish1.jpg

Which is Rypticus saponaceus.. just cannot find any pictures of them as young..

so those are soap fish? they are all overthe place in Destin. Like dogs sometimes lol

I stopped taking pictures of them after about 500 or so images...very friendly.

And you are right (as most of my diving is with scuba tech)..with a little Panama City thrown in for fun.

That image was from the liberty ship.... because we could not get on White Hall (my favorite reef).

Sue - I'd call yours a Freckled with a lot of schumtz. Whitespots don't have dark dots on their bodies and their spots are very white & well defined.

Interesting thread- well, given that the photo is from the northern GOM and the whitespotted replaces the greater and probably the others as well- i would go with the most parsimonious explanation- the original photo is of the newly-settled juvenile, the finely dark-spotted one by designbysue is intermediate and then the numerous adults are all over. none of those phases look "familiar" to us tropical reef types.

ben
coralreeffish.com

Back
Top Bottom