New Gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sachar

Registered
Reaction score
hello,

I'm a new diver and looking into buying all my gear. At this moment I've got a rough idea of what I want although some questions are still unanswered. I hope you guys and girls can help me.

I'm think I will want to go into the tec part of diving when the time is right. Because of this I think it's wisest to go for a setup which will work for tec diving and open water diving. Is it smart to invest more money right now and go for the more expensive gear now (which I might not use to it's fullest potential) so I don't need to upgrade in the future. If so then I'm thinking about going for the following setup.

7 mm wetsuit, probably a bare, gloves, shoes and hood

Regulator: Apeks ATX 200 1. & 2. Stage with an ATX40 Octo
or will the ATX100 with a ATX20 Octo do fine?

For a wing + bp setup:
Halcyon Pioneerwing 36 , since I will start with single tank diving.

Computer, wrist mounted:
Suunto Vyper wrist or shall I go for the Vytec?

SPG:
uwatec Mineral SPG

Compass:
Suunto- Compass SK

On Fins, lamps I've not decided yet. So I hope you can give me some pointers on these pieces of equipment

Will this setup be overkill for a new diver (12 logged dives)?

any comments are more then welcome

thanks.

Hi Sachar,

You'll probably find that most folks recommend trying everything possible before you decide what to buy. As far as overkill goes, my opinion is to buy the best you can afford based upon the type of diving you plan to do. I am also a new diver but plan to stick with recreational diving. After trying as much as I could, here's what i ended up with. I bought an Apeks TX 100 with TX 40 octopus. The TX second stages are a bit larger than the ATX models, but I experienced more bubble interference with the ATX models. I considered a backpack/wings, but bought a Seaquest Balance BC due to the cost. I am very happy I chose it. For a computer, I bought a Cressi Archimede. This because of the easily readable disply. I am getting older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Since computer technology changes rapidly, I would not buy a computer based upon the type of diving you plpan to do in a few years. Most likely you would need a new one later anyway. As to the suit, I dive an Oceanic Shadow which comes a 5mm fullsuit, a 5mm shorty to wear over it, a hood and boots. It is very dry and warm...much more so than I expected. The equipment you buy should be judged on what fits YOU, what YOU like, and what YOU can afford. Read opinions and recommendations on ScubaBoard, ask experienced divers, and most of all, try different types. I hope this helps, but remeber, it's just my opinion.

All the best!

Phil

I'd go with a computer with large numbers as they are much easier to read if you are in darker and/or deeper conditions. Ambient light is often adequate which means you do not have to use a light and screw up your dark adapted eyes. I would also ensure it's nitrox capable or you will be replacing it much sooner than you thought.

If you are interested in tech diving and/or frog kicking, the Mares plana avanti is very good with a flutter kick and extremely efficient and solid with a frog kick. It feels good and tracks smoothly through the water when frog kicking and not all fins feel that way. It is also a bit of a power fin and can deliver good speed when you need it. Genesis sells the same identical fin as the Aquaflex. Both are also relatively cheap and you should be able to pick up a pair for $50.00 or so.

The old standby Scubapro Jet fin is also a solid performer and comes in standard sizes as well as in extra large with a longer blade.

All three fins mentioned above have large foot pockets which work well with dry suit boots.

I would stay away from split fins entirely.

Sachar,

One of the problems with asking for advice on gear selection is that everybody tells you to buy what they have. They bought what they think is the best, so that's what they tell you.

That said, the gear you've mentioned is not "overkill" for a new diver. I know, because I bought almost exactly he same gear when I had less than 12 dives. A good feature of the backplate and wings is that it is reasonably comfortable and simple to learn in, you never "outgrow" the basic set up, even as you progress to double tanks or carrying stage bottles.

Some things to think about:

A 7 mil wetsuit can be expensive. If you dive much in chilled water, and I suspect you will where you live, you will soon want a dry suit. You may want to think about renting, not buying a heavy wetsuit until you feel comfortable with your buoyancy skills, then use the money on a drysuit. Even an inexpensive drysuit will be warmer than a wetsuit, especially deeper than about 15 or 20 meters, because the material of the wetsuit becomes compressed and loses its insulating properties. It will also be easier to control your buoyancy at depth in a drysuit, because a wetsuit loses buoyancy the deeper you go, while a drysuit stays the same, more or less.

The Vyper is fine. The Vytec costs far more, for the added feature of managing multiple mixes. You do not need this capability now. You will not be diving multiple mixes for a long time. When you do, you probably won't be relying on the computer to manage the gas switches and deco. Many divers who dive a gear configuration similar to the one you are considering don't use dive computers except in guage mode, preferring to use other methods to manage their dives. If you just want a depth guage and bottom timer, consider the Suunto D3 (small but readable display) or an Uwatec bottom timer (a bit bulky).

If you get a lamp, don't bother with the pistol grip models. You will not be satisfied with them. Go ahead and get a canister light with a HID head. A bright light will be one of your primary tools for communicating underwater with your buddy. Of course, a bright light is also handy for seeing in the dark.

Scubapro Jetfins, or comparable models such as Turtle Fins or IDI Powerfins, are desirable because they are very stiff. You need a stiff fin to do a backward kick, and stiff fins make it easier to do helicopter turns, frog kicks, modified frog and modified flutter kicks.

I own the same list of equipment you are concidering including the ATX200, ATX40 and Vyper and I could not be more pleased.

Being from the northwest, I dive a Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Pro dry suit.

I have used Rockets since the early 70's but I now use Turtles simply because of the larger foot pocket for my dry suit boots.

I first bought a jacket style BC but after trying the Halcyon back plate and wings, I changed in a hurry. Much better control and much more comfortable for me and it is completely unobrusive.

As for the light, I agree that the canister lights are the Porsches of the light world but you can buy a decent dry suit for the price of a good canister light. I use an UK Light Cannon, $149.00 thru LeisurePro. I plan on getting a canister light as the budget allows but for now, the Light Cannon is great.

I bought aluminum 80's and I wish I had stepped up for steel 95's but aside from that. I am very satisfied with my equipent

What size tank do you plan to you use? If its an aluminum tank you might wanna consider a #27 lbs wing. I Also have a Vyper and I gotta say its great, the Stynger is great too, but I wouldnt recomend an Air integrated comp.. As for fins, Go for the Jets, all the way!

Back
Top Bottom