New GoPro Mask Mount in Beta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. I'm a mechanical engineer who on the side designs my own gopro mounts. I recently took up scuba, got my open water a month ago, so I came up with a new one that holds your GoPro to your mask strap. I have it for sale on Shapeways.com If anybody wants to take a look at it or purchase it and provide design feedback, the following link takes you straight to it.
Dive Mask GoPro Mount by csdawson on Shapeways

Since you asked for comments:

1.) Have you ever seen video shot with a head-mounted camera? Ugh...

2.) Based on the images, the mount would need to be on the mask all the time... or you'd need to remove/re-thread the mask strap each time. A process that ranges from simply frustrating to downright impossible depending on your mask.

625x465_3382964_10167898_1430255007.jpg

3.) Have you ever seen video shot with a head-mounted camera? Ugh...

4.) Have you noticed where/how straps attach to scuba masks? Your mount will be far enough back on most masks that the camera will be located just forward of the diver's ear. Given the FOV of a GoPro whatever video is shot will prominently feature the diver's mask, nose, cheek, reg and jaw in the shot.

0906_tests_06.jpg

Atomic-frameless-2-side-view.jpg

5.) Given how flexible a mask strap is, the tendency for a GoPro attached via such a mount to rotate/twist throughout the X, Y, and Z axes will make for a video experience that is even more un-watchable than a typical head-mounted video. (Have you ever seen a video shot with a head-mounted camera? Ugh...)

6.) The mount will place the camera directly in the path of the bubble-exhaust from a diver's reg, causing the GoPro to be buffeted by the exhaust as well as bubbles in front of the lens obscuring whatever you're shooting.

7.) In any sort of current the camera/mount will have a tendency to pull/twist the diver's mask.

Other than that... it seems like a swell idea.

:shocked2:

Last edited:
RJP,
Thanks for your comments. As far as the video quality and interest, I was thinking use it to carry an "always on" camera, recording at a lower level for the whole dive. You would carry your regular camera and use it as you normally would. This would catch anything unexpected that happens, shark, accident, etc.

Yes, I did design it to have to be constantly on the mask, by having it mount that way, there is NO WAY aside from breaking it, that it would accidentally come off. On my mask (Genesis SL) it takes literally 60 seconds to un thread the strap, put the mount on and rethread.

With the camera mounted on my mask, (I printed a prototype yesterday) the lens on the camera sits about a 1/4-1/2 in behind the glass of the mask. You do catch a little of the mask in wide FOV, but its not too bad.

It does not move at all along the z axis, or y axis, it does bob front to back some, I'm adding in a tab that will extend about 3/4 in in both directions that should prevent this by giving the strap something more to grip.

As for the view from a head mount... Where else would you suggest? I typically use mine on a "selfie stick", then I can just point where I want, without getting my hand to close to wildlife. I really would like one that I can just turn on and forget that would capture most of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom