New idea for "instruction": Personal Trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Perhaps this is not an original idea but I'm toying with the concept as a possible answer to my predicament.

As some of you may know, I have pretty much quit teaching. With the exception of a rescue class, I have not taught since last summer. My reasons for giving up teaching are varied but have more to do with the short, weekend class format than anything else.

My idea...Personal Trainer!

It would go something like this:

I would work with certified divers much like a PT at a gym. This would be available for the experienced diver as well as the newly certified. I would evaluate each diver on an individual basis and work with that diver on particular areas of concern. I might also introduce divers to some options that they may not have been exposed to or that they may have seen or heard about but would like to know more. This would be done on an hourly basis in our pool or at the lake.

This is a work in progress...so how 'bout some brainstorming.

(I would appreciate it if we would stay off the PADI standards thing.)

Thanks,

SA

Couple of questions:

1. This for absolutely new divers as well as divers looking to further their diving?

2. Liability? I'm thinking the "further the diving stuff". Who's going to cover your butt?

3. Is there a demand for this product (other than a private OW class?

I think its a great idea. You wanna move to Washington?

detroit diver once bubbled...
Couple of questions:
2. Liability? I'm thinking the "further the diving stuff". Who's going to cover your butt?

Things like "local experience" dives are covered for guided dives, and that seems like a fairly ad hoc situation. So perhaps, personal coaching and continuing ed would be similar.

If standard offerings are the problem, then a crossover to someone that gives more academic freedom or liberties might be worth investigating.

I think his original idea is good... don't know if it will generate enough for him or not, but the financials are a separate issue.

some folks call it mentoring... and it is best as an altruistic endeavor.

I gather that you are looking at this more of a way to earn some $$ correct?

I wonder if there would be enough of a demand to make it financially worthwhile. Maybe as some more cash on the side but I kinda doubt that it would be enough to support yourself.

my 2 1/2 cents :D =-) :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
some folks call it mentoring... and it is best as an altruistic endeavor.

I gather that you are looking at this more of a way to earn some $$ correct?

Actually, I would do it for free...but I'm not sure that the shop would let that slide. But why do you see this as something that would be best not to charge for?

SA

detroit diver once bubbled...
Couple of questions:

1. This for absolutely new divers as well as divers looking to further their diving?

3. Is there a demand for this product (other than a private OW class?

DD,

1. Yep, for all levels...not tech, of course.

2. I've considered this and I think that my instructor insurance would cover me. But I haven't received official word on this yet.

3. Well, given the abilities of a lot of divers that I see, I think that many certainly could use a PT. Not sure if many would be willing to pay. But, I wouldn't be surprised.

SA

Stephen,
I think thats an excellent idea,i would certainly use one. Due to the nature of my life/work it is hard to get one of my regular dive buddies to be free at the same time and so miss a few days diving but instead i could just phone you and book..its a step up from "rent-a-buddy" as you could brush up on my skills, show new ones or just enjoy the dive. I would pay for that or at least more than cover all your expenses if you refused payment.
Damn good idea fancy moving to London?

Regards,

MAL..

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
But why do you see this as something that would be best not to charge for?
...can be very satisfying and has rewards that can transcend remuneration. However for that to be the case you would need to be selective in who you took on as a protégé.

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with charging for your services as a private coach or trainer... "the laborer is worthy of his hire."

Perhaps a mix would produce the most satisfaction.

For those who only desire some private lessons from a personal trainer... charge them.

But try to find one or two individuals that you can share yourself with... develop them into the kind of diver that you would enjoy diving with... don't charge these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom