New idea for "instruction": Personal Trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there are many who would like a mentor including myself. But not only does the mentor have to be selective of the students. The students have to make sure the mentor is TRULY a mentor.

In fact, I already have.

I found Mike Ferrara on this board and booked time with him at Gilboa after realizing I lacked proper trim. Three dives and some lecture time later I had control and was much more prepared for my Bonaire trip.

I like the idea of private lessons in diving just as much as in other activities. Having someone who you get to know and who can get to know you as in a PT relationship is very appealing to me. I'm a real devote of learning, so I'm not sure if there are enough like me to make a living off of, but I'd hazard a guess that it would be a satisfying experience.

I believe getting fair value for your time is important, be it in a future buddy or in dollars. Some folks consider the act of teaching payment, but I would not ask everyone to consider it enough. I'm plenty willing to pay for instruction, and more than willing to put in the effort required to learn.

David

There are plenty of sports or activities where you pay for single lessons. Not everybody is after yet another card.

From a student perspective, if you're lucky enough to find a mentor, even better. I did.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

[/iB...can be very satisfying and has rewards that can transcend remuneration. However for that to be the case you would need to be selective in who you took on as a protégé.]

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with charging for your services as a private coach or trainer... "the laborer is worthy of his hire."

Perhaps a mix would produce the most satisfaction.

For those who only desire some private lessons from a personal trainer... charge them.

But try to find one or two individuals that you can share yourself with... develop them into the kind of diver that you would enjoy diving with... don't charge these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom