New idea for "instruction": Personal Trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen,

"(I would appreciate it if we would stay off the PADI standards thing.)"

Since PADI doesn't have PT standards, I guess we'll have to.

Sometimes the pro approach to this type of "mentoring" is better than an altrustic endeavor. The primary reason is the implied relationship between a paid professional and the student who forked over the cash.

There are certain expectations and the student is more likely to achieve performance requirements if this relationship is formalized. When the mentor is just a buddy helping out this relationship is not automatic, even in the case where the apprentice ASKED for the assistance. The committment on the part of each party to complete the entire task may be lacking.

However, on the swing side, I'm not sure there is any market for this. I certainly haven't seen or heard any interest in a "buddy for hire" program here in California anyway.

Walter once bubbled...
Stephen,

"(I would appreciate it if we would stay off the PADI standards thing.)"

Since PADI doesn't have PT standards, I guess we'll have to.

Well...of course not...since they don't have a PT offering. I'm sorry, I mistakenly left that request in...it wasn't confusing before I edited my post. I had originally written more about why I am not teaching. But I really don't want to go down that road in this thread.

SA

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Sometimes the pro approach to this type of "mentoring" is better than an altrustic endeavor.
One would need much more diving experience to be a worthwhile mentor... so I suppose that taking the *pro* approach is the only option for some.

Mentoring is a great concept. I've had a few mentors and I've done my best to pay it forward with others.

Without being a pro and having insurance you'd be in a bad spot to get paid for mentoring that's for sure.

[edited:Walter this was typed before I saw your response and has nothing to do with your comment on paying it forward ... I realize that comment doesn't imply money (necessarily). Besides you're a pro anyway]

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Sometimes the pro approach to this type of "mentoring" is better than an altrustic endeavor. The primary reason is the implied relationship between a paid professional and the student who forked over the cash.

There are certain expectations and the student is more likely to achieve performance requirements if this relationship is formalized. When the mentor is just a buddy helping out this relationship is not automatic, even in the case where the apprentice ASKED for the assistance. The committment on the part of each party to complete the entire task may be lacking.

[snip]

I have been in the altruistic position. A new "buddy" was a train wreck and a silt cloud waiting to happen. I had visual knowledge of where the "professional" approach had left him (it certainly wasn't due to his lack of aptitude or ability).

We agreed to work to get him ready for a DIR-F class he had signed up for. The evolution was quite remarkable, and even though there were days and evenings that I didn't feel like getting out there, the results after almost 30 dives in 3 weeks was very personally rewarding.

I'll leave final judgement as to the results of my actions to those that led the class, but I'm happy to say I have a buddy that is very competent, pushes me to improve, and has surpassed me in some skill areas.

I have also personally benefited from the mentoring of other's, particularly a buddy and former instructor that passed on info that he was working through in technical classes (from a recent member here on scubaboard).

Now, I was willing to put in the hard work because of the possibilities for a local dive buddy that had similar interests (it did indeed work out that way), but I would do the same for others that weren't in local dive circles if there was remuneration involved (expenses, or maybe time).

instruction, it can be highly variable from student to student. When I have tutored a subject privately, it made an enormous difference in my approach and attitude if I had an enthusiastic and eager student. It became a win-win situation, with myself also gaining knowledge. If, on the other hand, I had a student that expected to be 'spoon fed' the information, with no effort on their part, it became a chore and I disliked my position.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I think that your idea is a great one, I would just suggest caution and selection of your students. Teaching can be the most rewarding experience, and also the most difficult. If you receive students that are motivated and willing to work, it would be a job many would be envious of. Also the one-on-one aspect can be fantastic for developing skills that are difficult to ascertain in a group environment.

Good luck and let me know if you are moving to Texas? I think that a lot of us here would be thrilled to work with you.

Stephen Ash once bubbled...

Actually, I would do it for free...but I'm not sure that the shop would let that slide. But why do you see this as something that would be best not to charge for?

SA

Now just when are you moving to So. Cal?

<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom