New, improved treatment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurence Stein DDS

Medical Moderator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had dinner with my dive buddies that other night. One is a physician...he said that he had read in one of the dive magazines that...ready for this...BUTTER is the best treatment for man-o-war stings. You use a razor to remove the remaining tenticles and then rub on butter!

Has anyone read this or heard about it. I can just see my first aid kit with some canned Danish butter in it...just in case. I'm also gonna pack some crackers.

Seriously, did any of you see this article?

No, I'm not nuts...this is a for real question.

Regards,

Larry Stein

..I suspect it has a large leak.

I can see slathering on butter to prevent jellyfish envenomations, but as a treatment?

You're too much, dude.

DocVikingo

Maybe YOU can see it, but I promise to point and laugh the first time I see anyone smearing themselves with a protective coating of anti-jellyfish butter.

I think I'll stick with the wetsuit and vinegar method.

DocVikingo once bubbled...
I can see slathering on butter to prevent jellyfish envenomations, but as a treatment?
:crest:

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful, but I haven't heard anything about using butter as a treatment. I'll be interested to hear more about it if anyone else has though.

I don't know which magazine. I checked recent Rodales and ScubaDiving and nada. Maybe it's an XXX-rated dive magazine--you know, neoprene suits, masks, straps, nets. Hey, NetDoc, this is right up your alley!

The doc said it was for treatment not prevention.

Before I'm too much of a laughing stock I'm sliding our of this thread. If I find out my friend has fed me a load I'm gonna kill him. But he was serious and another person there also said he read it too.

With reservations....

Larry Stein

I wanna hide!

..... spell "tentacle" 10 times.

Your pal,

DocVikingo

Hi Larry;

Someone got the wrong message from whatever article they were reading! The usual remedy that is offered is the use of shaving cream scraped off with the dull edge of a butter knife.

Greasing the body with petrolatum is also offered as a preventive - one would suppose that butter might do just as well.

A lot more about jellyfish stings at http://scuba-doc.com/jfstngs.html .

scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://scuba-doc.com/

DAN Consultant

Hello,

I have to ask, I can't help myself. Is this butter treatment in lieu of KY jelly?

Ed

Scubadoc,

Now I don't feel quite as bad. What you say makes some sense. I contaced my friend, the Doc with the wrong info and he still says "butter"

At least I'm not a TOTAL idiot... Now, do you use foam or gel and when you say butter knife, is it slightly serrated, smooth, or is it one of those fancy little ones nobody really knows what to do with?

Hey, when you're stuck with lemons, make lemonade...right.

Ok DocVikingo, give me partial credit...

Regards,

Larry Stein

Ed, if you don't want to meet the wrath of DocVikingo or NetDoc, I would suggest that you ask no more questions.

It was a peanut butter and jellyfish remedy!!! Extra Crunchy for the jarunkundji jelly!

Back
Top Bottom