"New in Box" but 5 years old Fourth Element

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Add Helium has a good deal on some Fourth Element undergarment sets--Arctic (3 piece) and Xerotherm (4 piece). They are "new," as in never been used, but they are five years old. Do you think they would provide the warmth of actual new garments, or do you think they may have compressed and lost some some of their insulating qualities over time?

My current Arctics are three years old, and I wear them almost year 'round. I don't have Xerotherms but am thinking I may be able to use just them in warm water and leave off the Arctics.

The Arctics should be fine. :)

As for the Xerotherms, save yourself a little $ and look into Cabelas ECWCS Polar Weight. They often have a sale online. If they are not identical they are extremely close. I know this because I compared them to a set that Doug Mudry was diving when he was teaching a Fundies class here in Texas. He agreed. :wink:

Safe diving.

My five-year old 4th Element garments still keep me just as warm as when they were new... no reason to believe that "new" five-year old ones wouldn't.

I made offers under the asking price, and they were accepted. I just ordered both sets. I thought about not getting the Xerotherms, but my offer brought the price down to something more reasonable. I'll consider Cabela's next time I need new base layers pieces.

RJP, I wish my old Arctics still kept me warm. Maybe I wash them too much.

That's the one thing that will damage garments more than wearing them.
Wash them less frequently; when you do....wash them by hand.

Last edited:
It's mostly in the summer when I just can't stand not to wash them. Well, no, that's not true. Okay, I confess; I am a bit fastidious.

If I understand correctly,polar fleece can be washed as much as you like. Thinsulate,no, wash as little as possible.

I wonder how many people who viewed the thread ended up buying FEs on AddHelium. :) They've sold out a lot of the sizes. Even the small Xerotherms were sold out before I completed my order. I had to get mediums. I hope they won't be too big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom