New international airport in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am from Birmingham Peter and remember very clear the bombings of 74 (The Pubs name was Mulberry Bush located under the Rotunda by the way)

I stand by my comments based on my own experiences talking to friends and aquaintences back home in the UK and in Holland.

Many of your points mentioned in this thread are identical views to the ones I have heard back home

Gaz

Last edited:
I didn't mention the name and precise location of the pub as I considered it irrelevant to the main point.

If others have the same views as myself (on this) then it shows more people are capable of thinking logically.

Sorry, I still don't see how choosing to check people who otherwise weren't going to enter the USA at all improves security in the USA. Those people are already checked at their departure airports before reaching the USA, and under proper transit arrangements would have no access to their checked baggage.

I hear you on that point, but even if those passengers were sequestered they would still be on US soil. I don't think Americans should have to rely soley on foreign airports to provide adequate security for people who come to our country, no matter their location or duration. Just because no terrorist has bombed or attempted to bomb a US airport doesn't mean it will never happen.

I wouldn't take issue with the same treatment if I were travelling outside the US. Sure it's a pain in the rear but that's just the way it goes when you cross borders.

I think the reason Peter is that unlike most other countries, a vast majority of our flights our domestic travel. A very small portion are international, even non existent at most airports. So our airports are not designed with international travel in mind, let alone for international travelers in transit.

That is certainly a valid point for many US airports. But not for the principal hubs such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. My 5 hour wait that I related above was at Miami, an airport where I suspect 95% of travellers are from or to foreign destinations.

I think the reason Peter is that unlike most other countries, a vast majority of our flights our domestic travel. A very small portion are international, even non existent at most airports. So our airports are not designed with international travel in mind, let alone for international travelers in transit.

True. I remember a number a pilot told me a few years back...that something like 70% of world air travel is the domestic US. Which is why a lot of foreign airlines WANT to drop off and pick up passengers while proceeding to the next US city but they aren't allowed.

That is certainly a valid point for many US airports. But not for the principal hubs such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. My 5 hour wait that I related above was at Miami, an airport where I suspect 95% of travellers are from or to foreign destinations.

Well, if you look at the latest stats for the Miami Dade Airport(2008) 34 million passengers passed through that airport, 16 million were international.

LAX 40 million domestic, 15 million international

The biggest extreme is JFK in New York where 70% of the destinations are international.

The whole Belize/U.S. travel has got to get easier - I hope! It's so close and yet so difficult.

For what it's worth, there are often at least five hour delays just travelling from New York to Los Angeles (via Chicago or Atlanta).

That is the trade-off for the deregulation of air carriers in the U.S. It's more like taking a bus....one that doesn't stay on schedule. But at least it's cheap, right? I'd rather pay higher fares and get there faster, myself. At some point my time becomes more important than a couple hundred bucks. Especially if I have limited vacation time.

Peter, I support your right to free speech in our country (U.S.) There are a lot of "opinions" here that I don't agree with. Border Agents may not see it that way.....I wouldn't comment on 9/11 at an airport - ever - that's just me.

The whole Belize/U.S. travel has got to get easier - I hope! It's so close and yet so difficult.

For what it's worth, there are often at least five hour delays just travelling from New York to Los Angeles (via Chicago or Atlanta).

That is the trade-off for the deregulation of air carriers in the U.S. It's more like taking a bus....one that doesn't stay on schedule. But at least it's cheap, right? I'd rather pay higher fares and get there faster, myself. At some point my time becomes more important than a couple hundred bucks. Especially if I have limited vacation time.

Peter, I support your right to free speech in our country (U.S.) There are a lot of "opinions" here that I don't agree with. Border Agents may not see it that way.....I wouldn't comment on 9/11 at an airport - ever - that's just me.

Why not fly just fly non stop then? Plenty of non stop flights between LAX and JFK on both United and Delta.

Back
Top Bottom