New Intova Search light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The beam is a tightly focused spot with a big, relatively bright halo. I took it diving in 30-40 foot visibility and it was doing well against my primary 1200 lumen LED canister. It was not as tightly focused as the primary, which is a true lightsaber, but it would do in a pinch, and the primary cost over $1000. I am now trying to figure out the best way to attach it to a goodman handle so I can try it as a travel primary on a trip.

I just compared the beam to an Intova ICOM I have here and they are almost identical beyond the massive difference in brightness. The SL1 halo is maybe 5% smaller, but has the same hotspot characteristics. The halo on the SL1 is also super smooth, with no dark rings.

It is really amazing how much LEDs are advancing and how fast. To have an 800 lumen light running of 3 C-cells for 7hrs is just nutty IMHO.

I was wondering if anybody can post the true length of this Intova light is? I saw two different dimension for this light. one which is 7.5 inch and another 9.8 inch. This light has a advertised lumen of 800 with 3 "C" batteries-Is this true? Thanks in advance for the info. Considering purchase this light if the length was 7+ inch long.

Intova SL1 review.
The length is 10-7/8" long,
Base is 1-3/8" dia.
Head is 2-1/4" dia.
weight 1 -1/2 lbs with battries.

Had mine down to the Bonne terre mines this past weekend, and ran it thru its trials.

All in all, I am happy with the light.
The beam had a tight hot spot with a hallo that didn't have any rough spots or dead spots.
The light is too long to be used as a back up light, so my Scouts will be safe for some time to come.

I couldn't tell you if the light put out a true 800 lumes, but I can tell you it worked damn good for a 3 c size battery light.

Only down side I have found so far was the hole in the base is small. I will need to bore it out a little so I can attach the bolt snap with more cave line.
I had it attached with cave line this weekend, and the edges of the hole caused it to fray. Glad i was grabing for it when it went.

So, at this point I am a happy customer.
Will make a great vacation light. C size batteries are cheap and can be found anywhere.

Jim Breslin

Thanks for your review. These might work well for me even with the longer length.

Back
Top Bottom