New Intova Slave Strobe ISTR. Any good ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimie007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried the new Intova Slave Strobe ? Sold for surprisingly cheap. Around $110 with base plate + arm. (optic fiber separate) Could be a cheap option to pair with entry level P&S.

:: INTOVA ::

Specifications

* Guide No. 60/20
* Coverage Angle : 60 degree
* Color Temperature: 5700 K
* Batteries (not included): 4AA Alkaline Battery ; Cycle Time: Approx 7~8 seconds
* Rated Depth: 54M (180 Feet)
* No. of Pre-Flash Settings : 4
* No. of Power Output Level Settings: 4 ( 10% > 25% > 50% > 100% )

I haven't tried that one but I have 2 of the Pixtreme PX21 kits that I like very much.
They are the same just different badge as the Fantasea Nano.
They also are in the same price range.

RA,
Did you find you NEEDED the fiber optic cable to flash the strobe?
I have one and it won't flash.......I think I will definately need the cable.....another $20.

RA,
Did you find you NEEDED the fiber optic cable to flash the strobe?
I have one and it won't flash.......I think I will definately need the cable.....another $20.

Underwater it definately needs the fiberoptic cable. On land it doesn't.

How do you guys like these strobes?

These seem deceptively cheap, but I use their 3W torches as backup lights for cave diving, and they're fantastic!

Intova is selling these strobes actually made by Ultramax. They are the same unit. I think the build quality is good as is output and controls. The weak point is the 60 deg beam angle.
I have them for $189 with a cord.

Jack

Intova is selling these strobes actually made by Ultramax. They are the same unit. I think the build quality is good as is output and controls. The weak point is the 60 deg beam angle.
I have them for $189 with a cord.

Jack

Thanks for the info.

How does the intova ISTR compare with the PX21's?

Is it supposed to be "better"? (The ISTR uses 4 AA batteries vs px21 using 2 AAA batteries)

The guide number for the PX21 is 12
and the ISTR is 20.
So the output power of the ISTR is significantly higher.
The price seems to be proportionately higher but still an excellent value priced item.

I wouldn't believe a GN of 20, that was an old spec. The Ultramax now claims a "true" GN of 18. Again at a 60 degree beam angle, most higher end strobes are at 90 degrees. But it's very well made and a good starter strobe.

Specifications

* Guide No: 18
* Coverage Angle: 60º
* Color Temperature: 5700 K
* Batteries: 4 AA (approx. 120 Flashes)
* Cycle Time: approx. 7 seconds
* Rated Depth: 55M (183 Ft.)
* Housing: hi-impact Polycarbonate
* Flotation: positive
* No. of Pre-Flash Settings: 5
* No. of Power Output Levels: 4
* Output Levels: 10% - 25% - 50% and 100%
* Warranty: 12 months unconditional

I sell the same strobe as the Intova, but direct fromt he mgf. I think the price is the same at $189 w/sync cord.

UMXSP.jpg

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom