New Jersey woman dead - Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, she was allowed to jump off. Thus, something happened before she went under. Maybe she did not ok a dm, then went down. They decided it was odd and chased after her...
Massive speculation. No facts yet to support that. It is equally possible that she jumped, started down, was too heavy and started sinking, DM already in the water noticed this, and gave chase. This is also pure speculation. Let get some facts before we jump to conclusions.

- Ken

Just on rough calculations, not knowing exact weight 5 to 7lbs less would be more than adequate. This assumes a dive skin or 1 ml at best. The water is 85 and the air temps over 100 in most of South FL
This week. Could that have contributed in someway to this tragic event ?
This is why buddy checks are so important. Even with Insta buddy diving as so often happens in FL.
Other issues could be with experience using the particular rental equipment. Not everyone travels with their own BCD ect. We divers are creatures of habit and tend to like our personal kit. It gives us a sense of security.

Condolences to the family and friends.

It's always tragic when we lose a dive community member.

With that size tank and with current water temps on Key West 86 add air temps in the upper 90's a dive skin would be more than adequate. That works to 5lbs or maybe less needed depending on body type. Could the rental equipment been a factor ? Familiarity with it ? Are we not creatures of habit with our individual kits ?

85F water...I would be somewhere between a 3-5mm suit....I'm female and run cold easily, especially after back to back diving.

I'm 135 lbs and when I wear an 8/7 semi dry with 6mm bits and 6mm gloves, I need about 10-12 lbs in salt water with an HP100.

Last edited:
Why did a DM chase after her? I bet something happened on the surface. Never seen a DM chase after descending divers at a start of a dive.
How sad and condolences to family and friends. Regarding your comment - Are you serious. It not uncommon for a DM to chase a rapidly decending diver, in particular with a relatively inexperienced diver (e.g., ~100 dives).

Had a rental BCD once where the inflator button was in a different location then my usual one. Couple times during the dive I pushed the wrong thing. No problem in my case since I was making a small adjustment but I could see if some one jumped in and was sinking it could be an issue since also a good chance the ears were not getting cleared correctly so in pain pretty quickly. Just an observation. No claiming that happened here.

I never splash without a full wing. Yeah, I know that there is a type of diving where you need to sink fast because of current, hot drops, etc... but I really don't like that. Always much better to be on the surface and then descend by venting gas than to be underwater and realize that there is a problem.

That's a fair amount of weight for warm water. An average BCD should still be able to keep her buoyant when she went into the water.

If she was wearing no wetsuit or just a skin, perhaps not. A full HP130 can be up to -10 lbs, -14 = -24 lbs, -10 head weight = -34 lbs. That's cutting it pretty close, depending on the BC of course. I think mine has a lift of like 30 lbs.

I never splash without a full wing. Yeah, I know that there is a type of diving where you need to sink fast because of current, hot drops, etc... but I really don't like that. Always much better to be on the surface and then descend by venting gas than to be underwater and realize that there is a problem.

Completely agree.

With that size tank and with current water temps on Key West 86 add air temps in the upper 90's a dive skin would be more than adequate. That works to 5lbs or maybe less needed depending on body type. Could the rental equipment been a factor ? Familiarity with it ? Are we not creatures of habit with our individual kits ?

I'm not sure why so many assume just a dive skin or no wetsuit. Lots of divers, me
included, will always wear a minimum of a 3mm even in 85 degree water. Multiple dives per day, multiple dive days, skin protection are all reasons. Though I'd agree 14 pounds does seem heavy. Using a 3mm and a steel tank I'm adding 4 lbs in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom