New Jersey woman dead - Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming the bottom was at a reasonably safe depth, what's the worst that could have happened on a decent if one were over-weighted - barotrauma if you couldn't equalize fast enough? Seems to me there must have been something wrong with her regulator or air supply, or why not just descend, keep breathing, and then drop some weight if needed? What am I missing?

Assuming the bottom was at a reasonably safe depth, what's the worst that could have happened on a decent if one were over-weighted - barotrauma if you couldn't equalize fast enough? Seems to me there must have been something wrong with her regulator or air supply, or why not just descend, keep breathing, and then drop some weight if needed? What am I missing?

A panicked diver.

Many such divers never drop weights.

We do not know the dive site. Bottom may have been at 100+. Also at some dive sites you have to follow a buoy line down to find the wreck. A diver sinking rapidly may 1) not be heading toward the target, 2) not be trailing bubbles, 3) not be with the group. If the intercept as at 60 ft, then this was a probably a deep site and such an descent even if on purpose would likely lead to a lost diver.

A panicked diver.

Many such divers never drop weights.

One of the reasons I like my integrated weight pockets. I can remove them and if I want I could drop just some of the weights from the pocket. Also a couple times when practicing taking my bcd off and redonning, I took the pockets out and put them in my wetsuit so that I did not go floating above the equipment. Gave me better control of the equipment and myself.

We do not know the dive site. Bottom may have been at 100+. Also at some dive sites you have to follow a buoy line down to find the wreck. A diver sinking rapidly may 1) not be heading toward the target, 2) not be trailing bubbles, 3) not be with the group. If the intercept as at 60 ft, then this was a probably a deep site and such an descent even if on purpose would likely lead to a lost diver.
Cayman Salvage Master

So 93 ft to the sand.

One of the reasons I like my integrated weight pockets. I can remove them and if I want I could drop just some of the weights from the pocket. Also a couple times when practicing taking my bcd off and redonning, I took the pockets out and put them in my wetsuit so that I did not go floating above the equipment. Gave me better control of the equipment and myself.

Nice post Steve_C;

You practice and work on your ability to remain in good control. Nice job, Good habit.

The diver in question was IMHO in full panic mode. No control at all. Frantic. Now Dead.

I will add that when I practiced this, while it went smoothly each time, I was at 23 ft inside a cleaned out school bus so that if something floated off It could only go up 3 or 4 ft and I had a dive buddy hoovering close nearby with his octo ready if something happened and I needed air.

The taking out part of my weights I have done several times. When I get a new gear configuration, like a new wetsuit, I go to the quarry and run my usual tank down to 500 psi and then at a depth of 4 ft in the shallows I will take out a small weight, and drop it. Then recheck the buoyancy and if still heavy, take out another small weight, etc. To me the weights are right if with a small ammount of air in the bcd I can hold 4 ft with 400 psi with no body movement. I want a small ammount of air in the BCD so if necessary I can descend a bit easily. Always like to have margins to play with no matter what happens. I have 1, 2, 3, 4 pound soft weights so can tune things.

Reactions: mdb
I will add that when I practiced this, while it went smoothly each time, I was at 23 ft inside a cleaned out school bus so that if something floated off It could only go up 3 or 4 ft and I had a dive buddy hoovering close nearby with his octo ready if something happened and I needed air.

The taking out part of my weights I have done several times. When I get a new gear configuration, like a new wetsuit, I go to the quarry and run my usual tank down to 500 psi and then at a depth of 4 ft in the shallows I will take out a small weight, and drop it. Then recheck the buoyancy and if still heavy, take out another small weight, etc. To me the weights are right if with a small ammount of air in the bcd I can hold 4 ft with 400 psi with no body movement. I want a small ammount of air in the BCD so if necessary I can descend a bit easily. Always like to have margins to play with no matter what happens. I have 1, 2, 3, 4 pound soft weights so can tune things.
But if someone briefed you to enter with a full BC and do a buoyancy check and do a surface swim to follow the guide line down and meet at the bottom and you had a private DM just to help you and your buddy and you told the DM you wouldn't follow the instructions/briefing as given and you dropped like a stone and your buddy was on the surface, and you bolted and your buddy dropped like a stone and your DM ......

You get it.

I get it.

My very first dive was a discover scuba in Hawaii. Me, the instructor, and an "experienced NJ wreck diver". Instructor suggested that NJ wreck diver drop at least 10 lbs. NJ wreck diver said he knew what he was doing. I did what I was told. About half way through my dive I looked around and no Mr NJ wreck diver. Looked at Instructor. He pointed up. Mr NJ wreck diver was swimming around above us on the surface. Had used up all his air fighting the extra weight plus some other issues.

Back
Top Bottom