New kid on the block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan

Reaction score
Where to begin where to begin well first things first. ** Stands up in the front of the room*** Hi my name’s Nathan and I am an aqua-holic. I stumbled on to this board while researching equipment and I am glad that I did. I recently finished the classroom and pool sessions and will be completing my open water cert at the end of next week. I have been diving a couple of times with the hotel introductions to scuba and always loved it. And now I finally get a chance to actually get certified. My overall intention is eventually get in to tec diving. And this is what I am considering for my first set of advanced dive toys. Let me know what you think.
Atomic B1 regulator
Cochran Gemini Plus dive computer.
I still haven’t decided on which BC to go with .
Yes I already have the fins mask snorkel Dive knife assorted wet suits etc.

Nathan….. Now a freak with a tank

Hey welcome to the games Nathan. You'll have a blast here.

You're no more a freek with a tank than the rest of us.

Hello Nathan,
Welcome to the boards, we're happy to have you as part of the family. As for your gear choices... hopefully we can help you out here and you sponge of off the wealth of knowledge and experience oozing from within these pages.

There are some inherent problems with the Cochran brand of computers. Some board members have unfortunatly had to deal with this in less than ideal circumstances. I'm sure they will comment as they see this thread. Please re-think the computer choice. I'm into tec diving as well, and can think of many computers that I would use before I dove with a Cochran.

Nathan,

Listen to me.
I own a Cochran Gemini Nitrox, loved it, ranted a raved about, Mario & I even got into some heated discussions about it. Until this past weekend 3000 miles from home & it wouldn't come on, or "wake up". Not a battery problem, a reliability problem, also used it last weekend at the pool, no problems.

Also if you will check out the Bikini Atoll Website, the divemaster won't even let you dive with a Cochran. Said they quit for some unknown reason during the dive.

The computers are expensive and I thought they would be worth it after reading all about it. But I wouldn't give you $5.00 for any of them.

Reliability is utmost. I was lucky if that can be said, I could have been at 120' when it quit. Spend your money on something else and learn from my mistake.

Pay attention to what the others are saying.

I'm not your father, but listen to the "Voice of Experience"

ID

Good to know about the computers The other one that I was looking at is a Uwatec Aladin Z o2 I think thats the right model. Basicly I am looking for a Dive computer that will support various mixtures of Nitrox at diffrent depth. Also Just cause I am a curious individual. If I want to really push does anyone know where I can get good information on heliox? Most of the people in local dive shops know about it but none of the local's have ever used it. least no one that I have run in to.

Nathan,

I asked the same question when I first joined the board and after some head scratching got some really good answers from Dr.Deco, BillP, John R. and I think Walter put his .02 in there also. This is what I learned. Somebody correct me if I get any of this wrong.

First----Even though Nitrogen is an inert gas your body still needs a little of it for your central nervous system to operate properly.

Second---The thermal qualities of helium make it harder to use, you get real cold using it, especially in the concentrations you are talking about.

Third----At recreational depths why would you want to use it?

Fourth---Expensive, the stuff is real high, making a fill cost prohibitive.

Fifth----It takes longer to off gas or deco helium than it does nitrogen.

Sixth----It would be real difficult to get a fill, not all stations have boosters.

I think I've covered most of it and put it into layman's terms. It was harder for me to understand coming from the doctors, but after rereading it several times it all became quite clear.

Hope this helps, If you want more info, go to "Ask Dr.Deco" and they will tell you what I just did, but in more technical terms.

ID

Seventh - I can't get over the *Visual* of a sight that could only be described as ...

"Mickey 'HillBilly' Mouse does scuba" ...

:mission:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom