New Kirby Morgan reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real issue with any of the KMC regulars is what good is all that flow capacity if feeding it anywhere near capacity empties a set of doubles in 30 seconds? These regulators are made for the end of an umbilical fed by a Tescom regulator on deck with 10x the Cv of a scuba first stage.

Great company and product, but it is analogous to putting twin 250 HP outboards on a 12' inflatable.

What is wrong with that?

N

i just want to see the first one on a recreational dive..... someone has to have the ego....

I do not think most sport divers would know what this is, they would just see a brand name they do not know and think it is a chinese made POS.

^lol

Apparently there are CHICOM clones out there of older models. I was offered a 2nd a while back but passed because I was suspicious of its mfg

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

If the recreational diver doesn't need the high degree of adjustment to match changing IP they could just get an old US Divers 2nd stage.....essentially the same reg (Super Flow....not this new one) without the adjustment piston and knob.

If the recreational diver doesn't need the high degree of adjustment to match changing IP they could just get an old US Divers 2nd stage.....essentially the same reg (Super Flow....not this new one) without the adjustment piston and knob.

That was true decades ago but KMC did a huge amount of work to make them far better. R&D was one of the reasons they invested in Dive Lab, who also does a lot of testing for the US Navy and all of Scuba Lab's tests. EDU (USN Experimental Diving Unit) is down the street.

I used the old regulators on the KMC Band Mask in over 900' in the early 70s and you are right. There was little done to the US Divers second stage beyond adding the Dial-A-Breath. However it was also like sucking through a straw with any work at all, below 600'.

Minute differences in port shape, finish, and size make huge differences in the Cv (Flow Coefficient) and may not be readily apparent to the naked eye.

Edit: Of course Scuba regulators made for recreational use have also improved a lot in that time. Almost every regulator manufacturer has their own Ansti Breathing machine, but they generally don't bother development deeper than the 200-330' range.

Last edited:
2014 Scubalab tested the Kirby Morgan Superflow. In the review it clearly states the adjustment has a pronounced effect warning it could result in a free flow. List price $825.

a bit off topic but the 2015 Scubalab test results also picked the HOG Zenith as the tester's choice.

FYI to all: You can still buy metal-body regulators sold through the Aqualung Military and Professional Division.

SCUBA Regulators and Octos

The only reason aqualung still makes a metal conshelf 14 is that it is a military spec or they would have done away with it long ago. Parts for Kirby Morgan products are easy to get on line, the second link you put up is for Amron, they will have parts for all Kirby Morgan products.

The only reason aqualung still makes a metal conshelf 14 is that it is a military spec ....

Agreed, I only mentioned it because a number of people still want an all-metal body. To be fair, the Conshelf is a very good regulator in terms of performance, durability, simplicity, and reliability. It is just too expensive to produce, large, and heavy to compete in the recreational market.

I only use all-metal regs myself. The conshelf 12s & 14s are also Kirby Morgan designs that US Divers just stuck their labels on after they bought Kirby Morgan. Every piece of commercial diving equipment US Divers tried to make after Bob Kirby & Bev Morgan left was a total failure. I never bought another piece of US Divers equipment once I found out how they treated them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom