New LARGE Dive Boat in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing you brought up the POW thing something that finally died a horrible death over on Ontario Diving. I have talked to lots of people involved and it seems your one of the cancerous old guard that do not want to go forward and seemed to complain with anything and I mean anything that was done.

These people were volunteers and did this freely and look at how you and your friends thanked them. Sure makes me glad that I am not one of them, and with gas prices so high I can only support limited charities and POW is not going to be one of them for certain.

Yes it's sad about POW! My wife & I supported it for 15 years.
When a group of Expert diver wanted to take over we both stepped down but kept memberships.

It was left in complete disarray, almost dead after 4 years of the Experts running it. The experts now whine that it's all Big Jim and the old guards fault. And the "Converted" believe them. In that 4 years I received 2 newsletters and 5 emails from "POW" great job guys! The only thing I did for POW in that 4 years was splice a few lines. But it's now my fault POW fell apart.

If you supported POW you know that. if you didn't then SHUT UP about what you don't know or even bothered to support

I do believe that now POW is starting back on the right road with hard work from divers that are very interested in our shipwrecks.
No I am not part of the new group. I will maintain a membership as I hope we do maintain the wrecks we now try to look after.

I have thanked many of the people over the years for all the help given. These people were volunteers and I salute them. Again if you are part of POW you know who you are.

I didnt say you are bashing NTD, I said you are purposely moving customers away from there. Then I questioned your motives. Read the not so fine print, you quoted it after all.

I have little or no financial interests in NTD. Like several other dive shops in Eastern Ontario, they sometimes rely on my skills in regulator and drysuit repair to keep thier customers diving which makes them my customer and I support them accordingly. I've likely put Toms kid through college by now as well with gear purchases and tech training. At the very least, paid for dental work. But theres no real secret there.

Lets see your cards in this matter. A recent PM to me pointed out that you are driving the Protius boat for them these days, yes?

As for how you've been diving forever and thats how you did it in the old days, we used to build houses with lead pipes in them, now we have better and safer ways to do it.

But hey, I like vintage dive gear and antiques too, good on you for setting a safer example to the newer folks while keeping old traditions alive.

Yes I drove the Proteus just as about 1 or 2 hundred kids from 6 to 60 have "drove" my boats over the years for fun. I think you were one of them at one time??
They understand I have a few of years experience of working the Kingston waters and I am sharing that knowledge with them.
Frank and Mike the owners are great guys. You should go talk to them some time Kevin. They love diving as much as you do.

As you well know I don't dive "vintage gear" I love my bungee wings of death and all my OMS gear, but as it's NOT on the DIR approved list I guess it's not up to standard.

But I also still dive with a old backpack and J valve when I'm out having fun. Why??? because I can. You have every right to dive any way you want with any style you want and yes I tease the new young guys with $6000 worth of gear on a 60 foot dive. WHY??? Because I can. I'm not better than you or anyone else just a OLD FAT DIVER who is still alive and diving.

Yup it does. I am a big guy but I'm almost 50 now and have more dives than most of you all put together.
/QUOTE]
"Just my opinion" but then I've only been diving for longer than some of you have been out of diapers./QUOTE]

Sure seems like you're pointing out that you are better...:wink:

How does POW get involved with this? Any way I think the big boat does not go out because it is a part time job for the owner. (the are either in the military or retired from it) I would not go out if it was not worth my while too. I think people should stop complaing and be happy just to go out and let that rest.
No offense but as a paying customer, why should I care whether someone is doing it as a hobby?
If I'm taking the time to travel with the gas prices as high as they are nowadays, I want to know that I'm getting out and not staying on shore because someone else decided to not show up and it has become suddenly financially not viable for the operator to untie the boat.

From my point of view, I'd rather call up the operator that will guarantee going out. As it appears, it will be NTD.
The only acceptable excuse for not going out should be bad weather.

Yup it does. I am a big guy but I'm almost 50 now and have more dives than most of you all put together.
[
"Just my opinion" but then I've only been diving for longer than some of you have been out of diapers./QUOTE]
Sure seems like you're pointing out that you are better...:wink:

No kidding, all this apparently while having an awfully big chip or couple of those on a his shoulders. :eyebrow:
Otherwise, it just sounds like the rambling of an old demented dude to me.

Here is a suggestion to everyone agree to disagree spend more time diving and less time complaining. A little secret people have ticked you off in the past and they will in the future. It is interesting to see the personalities on here and other boards have to get the last word and feel they are right always. My experience is that the truth is usally some where in the middle. The best thing about the diving in Kingston is people the worst thing is the people. You are not going to get along with everyone but omg at least act your age and do not have squabbles on the internet it does take two people to argue. How about everyone put forth their energy into something else instead of he said she said crap. There are a number of wrecks in the area that need attention. I love history and would love to see the HMS Montreal moored and am pttuing forth efforts to get that done as soon as the rest of the moorings in Kingston are done. I do find it interesting too that if three war of 1812 flagships were in US waters wrecked there would be huge fan fair in Canada nothing. Does anyone have ideas for a morring block that could be put in 60 ft of water just off Cedar Island? The cheaper the better; I have never moored anythign so any help would be great.

oh I agree with you too about not caring if the charter operator is making money. I think that is why they are not doing walk ons, everything is prebooked but you know what why are we talking about this if we really want to know ask the boat owners could be a million and one reasons

oh I agree with you too about not caring if the charter operator is making money. I think that is why they are not doing walk ons, everything is prebooked but you know what why are we talking about this if we really want to know ask the boat owners could be a million and one reasons
We're talking about this because your friend, "the dude", posted a thread about it. Look at the name of the thread. :eyebrow:

Again, I do care about losing my time and money to travel somewhere and not get out because someone else didn't show up and it suddenly becomes financially not feasible for the charter operator to get out. Period.
At that point, I'm not really interested in any excuses or explanations. I only want to dive and not waste my time and money.

Just my two cents, if you've ever had the fortune of going out with Big Jim, then you'll know, not alot of what he's doing for the sport involves his own financial gain....for my money if he says it's a good operation to go with, then it would be my pick, $1000 bucks for a full day, is a great deal....just a humble opinion for those that are interested

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom