New LARGE Dive Boat in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Base club in Petawawa used to dive with Spencer on his big boat (the name escapes me now) a few years ago. It left from Collins Bay (much closer to the wrecks than Portsmouth), and we were still only able to get in 3 dives max per day (and one was always the Munson). That was with only about 10 divers (maybe less), and no stopping for a BBQ lunch. I just don't see getting at least 4 dives in unless hes staying on something closer like the KPH, Wolfe or Munson. 4 dives probably doesn't mean 4 wrecks. As well, I wonder what the vis will be like when you're the 7th or 8th buddy team on the wreck. Or the chaos on deck when people are trying to get out of the water while others are sorting out their gear. The price may be cheap, but I think you'll get out of the experience what you paid. Just my opinion.

That would be the Brooke Lauren. I dove off that boat many many times. We easily got 3 dives in, with a full boat (16 divers) and were back to shore by 5pm. An example itinerary was Munson, Sheboygan and Marsh. We'd even get three dives in when we went to the Wolfe. You know the Brooke wasn't the fastest boat out there.

As to vis, it was good if the other divers have good bouyancy. Its crap if they don't. Same as anywhere else.

Deck chaos is strictly a dive management problem. We permitted two teams and two teams only on the back deck gearing up. When one team was in the water, another was permitted on the deck. People would be upstairs on deck. It actually works out much faster than the chaos. It is all a matter of having a well organized club and divemaster.

I'll be diving from the Proteus at the end of June. Our club has the boat booked for two days.

The question is where to get air fills after the first days dive?

Proteus is out of Treasure Island Marina on the East side of Kingston. What is close for air fills?

Any recommendations for places to stay on the east side of Kingston? I want to avoid downtown.

I'll be diving from the Proteus at the end of June. Our club has the boat booked for two days.

The question is where to get air fills after the first days dive?

Proteus is out of Treasure Island Marina on the East side of Kingston. What is close for air fills?

Any recommendations for places to stay on the east side of Kingston? I want to avoid downtown.

You don't need to go for air fills Leave your tanks on the boat, just tell them what fills you need, In the morning they will be filled and ready for you.

You could also take them to NTD in Collins Bay

Send Frank owner of Proteus a email he has some great deals fixed up with local motels. He'll help you out.

Its too bad that we see the negative side of local "politics" bubbling up occassionally. I have been on Big Jim's dive boat 2 or 3 times and have taken my share of ribbing - although Jim has been on the receiving end of it too, but he has always made my trips to Kingston fun and memorable. I have also been to NTD and have been treated great there as well (to be fair - only there for air fills). So from my perspective, divers will now have a new option when going to Kingston and we can decide for ourselves if we want the large boat (with the stability, head, ability to have larger groups all on one boat and BBQ - as well as the potential for a crowded deck and possible poor vis if you are last and no walk ons) or you can pay more for a faster trip (that allows walk-ons, and smaller groups to improve the vis). I guess it depends on what is important in your diving trips but one thing that is not impressing me from both sides is the constant political BS.

there are four places that i know of to get air in Kingston. NTD in Collinsbay Source for Sports downtown Princess st Limeston just by the new arena and if you are in the military the base club CFB Kingston Dolphins. All are about 10-15 mins from the marina except for NTD which is about 30 mins give or take a few minutes.

On a different note too there is going to be some underwater movies taken of some Kingston wreccks this summer the Whig standard said by Deep/Quest2 Expeditions with a dive exploration weekend planned. I guess it is suppose to happen when the city hosts the poker run in August.

I've dove from Big Jim's boat and from each of NTD's boats. Personally, I prefer bigger & stable and will sacrifice some speed to get it. I don't see what pre-booking has to do with trips being cancelled for divers not showing up vs walk on's. I've organzied group outings more than once. You commit, you pay and you show up or not, but the trip still happens. Too many people think they shouldn't have to commit to anything anymore and can change their mind anytime without penalty. Look at the people who get cheap cell phones on 3 year contracts and then whine when they don't want after a year.
I think there's enough market share in Kingston to go around. I know at least one local (to me) shop, that has desired a larger boat in the area for charters. When they run a group trip, the desire is to travel and dive as a group, not two or three smaller groups. As for the number of divers on the wreck, I've done dives with 3 boats and a total of 20 divers on a wreck, with widely varying skills. I'd rather take my chances with a single group of 16, where I'm likely to know they're skill level and whether I need to be in front of them. :)
As for POW, I was a member for a while. Joined when Big Jim was still involved and hung around for about 3 years. The first year I joined was the only time I ever received a membership card. And newsletters were very hit and miss. By the end of the 3rd year, I decided that, while I believed in what they were trying to do, I had no idea what they were doing anymore, what was happening and I did not renew. Nor was I ever sent a renewal reminder/request at any time.
As for making fun of divers, etc. I've had my share of ribbing at NTD, hasn't stopped me going back. And I generally found Jim's humour, just that. I tend to agree that watching a diver with doubles and stage bottle, dropping over the side for a 60 foot wreck is a bit humerous. I have several buddies who dive that way and I understand that they're "training" and the doubles is their standard rig. But it's kinda like watching a truck driver hook up a trailer to the tractor, to run a couple of miles down the road and pick up groceries for the wife, instead of a car.

... the constant political BS.

Agreed. If all I knew about Ontario and diving was what I read here, I'd be running for the hills.

It's so nice to see that the same garbage that's been going on for far too many years in the Ottawa,Brockville and Kingston areas rages on with the same old names still at it.
Keep it up guys you do a great job of encouraging anyone to come to those areas to dive and support the local businesses.

It's so nice to see that the same garbage that's been going on for far too many years in the Ottawa,Brockville and Kingston areas rages on with the same old names still at it.
Keep it up guys you do a great job of encouraging anyone to come to those areas to dive and support the local businesses.

It's not the people, it's the dives that are worth the visit. I've dove all over Florida, have you dove here eagleray? Come on up you'll see

Yes Jim I have dove there many,many times.In fact I lived in the area untill 18 monhs ago.
I refer to the garbage politics between shops in this area that have driven as many people away from the sport as they have brought in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom