New: Looking to get new BCD Setup, HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NINman

Reaction score
Well I have been visiting these forums for a while now, but over the last year it has been less. Now that I am in the market for a new BC I thought I would drop by and ask for some help.

I am currently using a jacket style BC and I want to move up to a Back Inflate. My instructor and his dive buddy, who I dive quite a bit with, both, have Back Inflate BC’s. They are called Tech; they are the same BC's that you can zip a gear bag on. Well anyways, I thought I would do something a little different around here and get a B/P&Wing Setup. Here is my information and I thought you guys could help me customize a rig:

Dive: Lakes around 50 – 70 in Temp, Sometimes travel
Dives: 75+-, have to look it up
Cert: 2001
Exposure: 7mil Farm John wetsuit
Weight: 190#
Height: 5'11"
Tanks: 2 x AL80's w/ Al30 pony
Tank Setup: Single Currently
Weight used: 23#, any less and I am positive with 500psi at 10-15feet
Gas: Air, right now
Regulator: Poseidon Jet stream, Yoke conversion kit.

Options wanted:
Integrated Weight System (pockets) or Belt with easy dumps
Want to change tanks to DIN Valves

Could you guys give some recommendations and places to purchase online, as my LDS doesn't carry this kind of equipment? Thanks allot.

Well, most divers that I know that dive with a Bp/Wings use a weight belt. And other times with steel tanks and a backplate no other weight is necessary. These are about as close to integrated weights as you are going to get:
TransWeight 32 System http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/weight_sys.htm
Halcyon's ACB http://www.halcyon.net/mc/acb.shtml
As for where to buy www.leisurepro.com/ has good prices and holds a decient selection of OMS and Dive Rite gear. Basically if I was you I would look at previous forms, these is so much information on scuba board. Good luck. Hope this helps a bit.

Tekdiver10:
Well, most divers that I know that dive with a Bp/Wings use a weight belt. And other times with steel tanks and a backplate no other weight is necessary. These are about as close to integrated weights as you are going to get:
TransWeight 32 System http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/weight_sys.htm
Halcyon's ACB http://www.halcyon.net/mc/acb.shtml
As for where to buy www.leisurepro.com/ has good prices and holds a decient selection of OMS and Dive Rite gear. Basically if I was you I would look at previous forms, these is so much information on scuba board. Good luck. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the links. I will continue to search the posts. Now that I am on a 6pm - 4am shift I might be able to contribute more to this forum.

Well I just orderd the OxyCheq Signature Series Single Cylinder Wing in the 45# flavor. I am also in the process of getting a FredT SS Normal Long Backplate, STA, and Harness kit. Now I need to get a weight belt as I have diving a intergrated BC for 5 years now. I will also be adding a Pocket as I dive Wet and have been known to pick up stuff on my dive.

Anyone else diving a setup like this, if so think you could post a pic so I can get an idea as to the look and setup.

Well I have the backplate and the STA, now the problem is that I wasn't expecting no CAM Straps. Anyone have recommendations on CAM Straps and Buckles and where to get them?

NINman:
Well I have the backplate and the STA, now the problem is that I wasn't expecting no CAM Straps. Anyone have recommendations on CAM Straps and Buckles and where to get them?

TRY THE SCUBAPRO BANDS. THEY ARE SIMPLY THE EASIEST AND THE BEST. GOOD LUCK...

NINman:
Well I just orderd the OxyCheq Signature Series Single Cylinder Wing in the 45# flavor. I am also in the process of getting a FredT SS Normal Long Backplate, STA, and Harness kit. Now I need to get a weight belt as I have diving a intergrated BC for 5 years now. I will also be adding a Pocket as I dive Wet and have been known to pick up stuff on my dive.

Anyone else diving a setup like this, if so think you could post a pic so I can get an idea as to the look and setup.

I think you are going to love your new set up. I just got an Signature wing with a 6 lb STA and BP. It took a bit to run the webing and get it sized, though special thanks to Uncle Pug it made it less of a trial and no error. U.P. also got me to drop 12 extra lbs off my configuration. In just the checkout dive that we did, my comfort was extraordinary. I wish I could boast the same of my skills.

Just a suggestion - you might want to think of a mesh bag instead of a pocket. Also for your weight belt (if you want soft lead) then get one with the pockets. You can put in or take out as much weight as you need.

NINman:
Well I have been visiting these forums for a while now, but over the last year it has been less. Now that I am in the market for a new BC I thought I would drop by and ask for some help.

I am currently using a jacket style BC and I want to move up to a Back Inflate. My instructor and his dive buddy, who I dive quite a bit with, both, have Back Inflate BC’s. They are called Tech; they are the same BC's that you can zip a gear bag on. Well anyways, I thought I would do something a little different around here and get a B/P&Wing Setup. Here is my information and I thought you guys could help me customize a rig:

Dive: Lakes around 50 – 70 in Temp, Sometimes travel
Dives: 75+-, have to look it up
Cert: 2001
Exposure: 7mil Farm John wetsuit
Weight: 190#
Height: 5'11"
Tanks: 2 x AL80's w/ Al30 pony
Tank Setup: Single Currently
Weight used: 23#, any less and I am positive with 500psi at 10-15feet
Gas: Air, right now
Regulator: Poseidon Jet stream, Yoke conversion kit.

Options wanted:
Integrated Weight System (pockets) or Belt with easy dumps
Want to change tanks to DIN Valves

Could you guys give some recommendations and places to purchase online, as my LDS doesn't carry this kind of equipment? Thanks allot.

I'd say get a BPW. I doubt you will be unhappy. With the BP you shift the weight more evenly throughout your torso. It also seems to take out the turtleing effect. Mine is limited experience with my new BP wing, but from what I can tell, I had far more control than ever before.
You will also only have to carry a small amount of weight on your belt because of the wing and single tank adaptor (STA).
If you can try one out first. You may find as a friend has that his wing floated him face down on the surface. His wing does not have a back plate though. With that said I will tell you that I swam 50 - 75 yard out and back each way today on the surface staring at the sky. My BP is 10 lbs with a 6 lb STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom