New low airfare!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara:
I was just wondering, how long does it take to get from Cancun to Cozumel and do you have to do a lot of bag schlepping?

There was a recent discussion on this but I can't find the thread. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction. I just remeber that it would have to be a few hundred dollars savings for me to justify it. Just don't use a scooter ! ;-)

capybara:
Thanks for the tip David O. Looks like they fly only Sundays & Thursdays. I was just wondering, how long does it take to get from Cancun to Cozumel and do you have to do a lot of bag schlepping?
Thanks Burbunny and Christi for the Frontier input, we may just give them a try and keep our fingers crossed about the layover. ($5 to watch TV, what else are airlines nickel and diming for now, pillows & blankets? Sheesh!)

It depends on a couple of things, like how many planes are coming into Cancun at the same time as yours (time you will spend in Immmigration and Customs lines), and how good your luck is in matching your arrival time in Playa del Carmen to the ferry schedule. Generally somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.

As to schlepping, you will need to get your stuff from Customs out to the street in Cancun, from the dropoff in PdC to the ferry landing, and from the ferry landing to a cab in Cozumel. There is no shortage of help, though, for a buck or two per bag, per schlep.

There are a lot more flights into CUN than CZM so a lot of people end up using the bus and ferry. After you go through Customs and get your bags and play Red light Green light you end up in a room with porters you can use their services and they will take you right to the bus. I've never used them for this leg. Just before you exit the building on the right you can buy your bus ticket and they will tell you where to find the bus or you can buy your ticket at the bus from the driver or his agent. When you leave the building you turn to the right and walk past the air terminal (200 yards?) and you will find the bus stop on the other side. The bus leaves at about 15 till the hour. After you get into Playa Del Carmen you grab your bags and the Ferry terminal is about two block to the right and a block and a half toward the water (left). You can find a porter with a three wheel bike in front of the bus terminal, but this leg is downhill and taking your wheeled bags down isn't so bad. The bus is timed to match the ferry so it is prudent to go right away or you can stop and have dinner at Carlos 'n Charlie's across from the ferry. When you get off the ferry at the end of the pier you will find plenty of cabs and downtown San Miguel. If you need a porter they are here also. Here are a couple of links for more info. http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/arrive.php
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106094&highlight=bus+cancun

I like to travel this way because after I get off the plane I'm in Mexico and I can relax and if the bus or ferry doesn't wait for me I know that there will be another.

On the DEN-Cancun segment, the TV is free AND you get a nice sandwich wrap snack as well. I've been flying Frontier almost exclusively out of Denver for the past 5 years. They are the best. All the planes are new Airbus jets and the ontime performance is better than anyone's out of Denver. Join the frequent flier program when you book. It only takes 15K miles for a domestic RT, 25K to travel to Mexico and there are NO blackout dates.

I've had a good experience so far with Frontier. Flying DEN-CZM late Feb/early March for $290 RT.

Back
Top Bottom