New Luna loses psi before submerging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had my Luna only a few months. I purchased it to be my primary computer and then another brand that I bought 4 years ago is now my backup. The Luna lost the psi signal on dives 1&2. The LDS asked me to return it so they could pool test it, and it did fail, so they returned it to SP and they said the transmitter was faulty. I still have the same problem. I've had it back in the water a few times, and I've gotten so I have my buddy turn my tank on last now so I can mitigate the chance of losing the signal. Rather than gear up and walk to the site with the computer synced, I decided to wait until I'm ready to submerge before I turn my computer on and then the tank. Maybe It isn't designed to hold the signal for a couple minutes. It's is not the way I like to prepare for a dive. Diagnosing from other posts: Transmitter and computer on my right side, I'm not diving wrecks that could disrupt the signal, tank not low on my back, ....any other suggestions for troubleshooting?? I don't want to be a PITA, but I've gotten more gauge mode dives than actual computer dives out of it. I've also lost the signal u/w even though it paired up with the tank before submerging. So, what other thoughts do you have???

First, transmitter and computer unit reception problems have no effect with the computer functioning in modes other than gauge mode. Since you are still having problems, the fix was not successful, thus it needs to go back to the LDS. They may have only replaced the transmitter's battery, I suspect. The transmitter itself may need to be replaced or less likely, the computer itself. Delaying turning on your computer and opening your cylinder's valve should not be necessary. If my memory is correct, I believe you have an hour before it's shuts back down.

You should not feel badly about returning the computer to the LDS for further work in order to get the expensive piece of equipment functioning exactly like it's designed to perform. Periodically, a unit will give all involved fits before things are finally sorted out. Believe me, they have gone through the drill many times before if the shop has been in business for any length in time. Good luck!

Last edited:
I also just recently purchased a Luna dive computer and on one of the first dives I made with it it lost the signal before entering the water. Luckily for me I was diving with my LDS and they explained that it is not uncommon for it to loose the signal above the water. All my LDS instructors and DMs have Luna computers. I have had no further issues with it, other than it loosing signal while above the water.

I also agree with Scott, if it's not working correctly take it back the the LDS. If they don't want make things right, look for another dive shop, and contact SCUBAPRO.

I just bought my luna. The scuba gods I dive with pretty much all dive the luna and they have duplicates of them since they are tech divers. I had an initial low battery message, but it worked fine the other w/e.

When you loose the signal is it permanent? I'm diving a backup SPG until I'm confident in the device. I was thinking of using a short hose to move the transmitter closer if I had issues. I wonder is a short hose would help?

Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there is no change in psi for 40 or 45 seconds, the transmitter shuts off to conserve battery power. This is normal operation for the unit.

If you are losing your signal in the middle of a dive, that's another story.

I always have an spg on me regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

. . . they explained that it is not uncommon for it to loose the signal above the water. . . ..

WTF, does ScubaPro now get to redefine the laws of Physics? Water is going to attenuate RF signals. You'll get the best reception in air.

Sounds like a crock of BS to me. . .

WTF, does ScubaPro now get to redefine the laws of Physics? Water is going to attenuate RF signals. You'll get the best reception in air.

Sounds like a crock of BS to me. . .

Above the water you are normally not breathing your reg and there is no change in psi so the transmitter shuts off to conserve battery power which I like. Start breathing and the signal returns.

Above the water you are normally not breathing your reg and there is no change in psi so the transmitter shuts off to conserve battery power which I like. Start breathing and the signal returns.

Saw the explanation after I posted. Makes more sense and doesn't speak very highly of the LDS folks that offered the original lame excuse.

Thanks for the clarification

If my memory is correct, I believe you have an hour before it's shuts back down.
I have never had it remain paired that long!

---------- Post added December 7th, 2012 at 11:00 AM ----------

When you loose the signal is it permanent?

Yes, until we turn off the tank, and turn it back on

---------- Post added December 7th, 2012 at 11:03 AM ----------

If there is no change in psi for 40 or 45 seconds, the transmitter shuts off to conserve battery power. This is normal operation for the unit.

If you are losing your signal in the middle of a dive, that's another story.

I always have an spg on me regardless

This does make sense, because on the surface there is no change in psi. Therefor would this mean that once I'm submerged it would automatically boot up with the data? Yes loosing it during a dive is a flaw of some sort.

---------- Post added December 7th, 2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

I also agree with Scott, if it's not working correctly take it back the the LDS. If they don't want make things right, look for another dive shop, and contact SCUBAPRO.

My LDS originally sent it back to ScubaPro. They are excellent in all areas of customer service. I will return it to them and have them pool test it with some of the instructors. I may be out of the water awhile now because the snow is returning....the water is fine, I just don't drive on icy snowy roads.

Thanks for the analysis everyone,!!!

Back
Top Bottom