New Luna loses psi before submerging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People, RTFM! :D

Page 15:

"To maximize the life of the battery, the transmitter turns itself off when there is no pressure change for more than 40 seconds. It also turns itself off when the pressure is 14 bar/200 psi or less." Also, the Luna "...turns off automatically after 3 minutes without operation."

When you open the valve and your Luna is on, you'll see the pressure for about 40 seconds. If you don't breathe from the regulator so that the pressure does not change then the transmitter will turn off.

If you have a loss of signal underwater and the tank is not below 200 psi (which I have done once) then you might have a problem. The manual suggests that you put the transmitter on the same side as where you wear your Luna. My wife's Luna locked up in Dominica last month because it lost signal underwater. It would not stop beeping even though I could read her pressure with my Luna and her Luna could read the pressure eventually. I think it was a combination of low battery and her transmitter was on the right but she was wearing her Luna on the left.

I've also been told by a Scubapro tech that some strobes will cause a signal loss underwater too.

Last edited:
I had similar issues with my Uwatec, and wound up putting a regular old SPG on a 24" hose clipped off to my left hip. Also helps for setup so you don't have to get your computer out. If boat diving where they set your gear up, the guys doing it will appreciate the gauge.

People, RTFM! :D

Page 15:

"To maximize the life of the battery, the transmitter turns itself off when there is no pressure change for more than 40 seconds. It also turns itself off when the pressure is 14 bar/200 psi or less." Also, the Luna "...turns off automatically after 3 minutes without operation."

When you open the valve and your Luna is on, you'll see the pressure for about 40 seconds. If you don't breathe from the regulator so that the pressure does not change then the transmitter will turn off.

If you have a loss of signal underwater and the tank is not below 200 psi (which I have done once) then you might have a problem. The manual suggests that you put the transmitter on the same side as where you wear your Luna. My wife's Luna locked up in Dominica last month because it lost signal underwater. It would not stop beeping even though I could read her pressure with my Luna and her Luna could read the pressure eventually. I think it was a combination of low battery and her transmitter was on the right but she was wearing her Luna on the left.

I've also been told by a Scubapro tech that some strobes will cause a signal loss underwater too.

Pedro, I'm not diving with my camera system. Let me ask you this, perhaps I've left out an important step. If there is no change in the tank pressure within a short time after the pairing the computer and transmitter, does it go to "sleep" and then wake up as soon as I take a breath ? I have the manual printed out! The battery is fully charged also. When I've lost the signal u/w, I have been on the top 1/3 of my tank.

---------- Post added December 7th, 2012 at 02:55 PM ----------

I had similar issues with my Uwatec, and wound up putting a regular old SPG on a 24" hose clipped off to my left hip. Also helps for setup so you don't have to get your computer out. If boat diving where they set your gear up, the guys doing it will appreciate the gauge.

Thanks Peter for that comment! I've only had my gear set up once for me! However it gives me pause to think if that occurs again. The boat staff may not know how every air integrated computer works to check the tank pressure! When I did see my gear was set up for me, I went back and rechecked everything. I appreciated the help, however I ensured that everything was solid before I jumped off into that tropical blue abyss!! My second computer is a Suunto Cobra.

Pedro, I'm not diving with my camera system. Let me ask you this, perhaps I've left out an important step. If there is no change in the tank pressure within a short time after the pairing the computer and transmitter, does it go to "sleep" and then wake up as soon as I take a breath ? I have the manual printed out! The battery is fully charged also. When I've lost the signal u/w, I have been on the top 1/3 of my tank.

I first want to point out in case there is any question, once the transmitter and Luna are paired (T1, not buddy) then you don't need to do it again. If the Luna and transmitter are on the same side of your body and you are breathing the regulator with the transmitter paired to the Luna and you still lose signal then there is a problem with either the Luna and/or the transmitter.

My buddy and I both use Lunas. If she gets out of range then we lose the buddy signal but when we get back into range then our Lunas will display the buddy pressure without doing anything. I think Jax dives sidemount with two transmitters and one Luna. I'll ask her to look at this thread and comment.

I agree with jar546, I installed an SPG as backup.

At this point, please return the computer and transmitter through your local Scubapro dealer, along with a copy of this post and reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom