New Mares Carbon 42 First Dive Impressions/Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esguerra1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased the new Carbon 42 carbon fibre regulator from Mares and took it on my first test-dive in Anilao, Philippines. Just wanted to post my impression of it here. I have only one major complaint and perhaps you more experienced divers out there can help out. I'm not a technical diver so your "constructive" help would be great.

Overall it's a great reg set. I purchased it with the Carbon Octopus as well (which is required as a bundled package here in Hong Kong - don't ask me why, esp if you already have another Octopus like I did!!). The regulator is very light weight. The primary breathes very easily in all positions - even upside down. Went down to 110' feet and it flowed just as well as at 30'. No dry cotton mouth. If you spit the reg out it is nearly neutrally buoyant...so it practically floats in front of you before sinking away. The superflex hoses are a real treat. No tangling and they can be bent in any direction. The hoses don't pull at your mouthpiece either even when swimming in strong currents or turning/twisting your head/body around. Both the primary and octopus come with the superflex hose, the Octo being a bit longer. Some may find it a bit too long.

Here is my only complaint/issue I had with my Carbon 42. While breathing, at the END of each inhalation there is a slight, high-pitched "squealing noise." It only happens at the end of my intake breath. The initial part of the inhalation and the exhalation seem normal. Can somebody explain to me what causes this? It get's so annoying hearing that little "squeal" at the end of each breath. I tried breathing through the Octopus and did not experience any problems - in fact, I must admit, the Octopus breathed much easier and freer than my primary. For such an $$$ reg as this, I was a bit miffed.

Since I don't know all the intricate technical details about regualtor construction, - as this was my first dive with the new reg - my question is do regulators need to be 'broken in?' Towards the end of my dive series (i did 9 dives in) the "squeal" became less noticeable and later disappeared, but did occur intermittently. Can someone explain to me how to fix this? Does it just need to be 'tuned up?'

My final question: Should the Octopus breathe easier/freer than your primary? It seemed so in this case. Or does my primary just need a simple tuneup? Is it normal for your brand new regulator to get tuned up just after your first dive with it? (Kinda like when you buy a new bicycle?)

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Overall, it's a great piece of kit!

Aloha,

Mares regs have a tendancy to make noises on the inhalations. A fix on some other models was to add a little spring inside the flow tube. This disrupted the airflow enough to cut out the noise. Check with a dealer on doing this.

Scubasprout,

Thank you for the input. This is my first Mares reg so I'm unaware of previous tendancies. Just seems like if you paid $$$ for this it'd be 'perfect' haha. Perhaps I just expect too much. It's still a mechanical piece of equipment and so I hope it's a quick-easy fix as you said. I've sent the Reg to Mares already here in Hong Kong and they're having a look at it as it's still under warranty. I wish it breathed as smoothly as the Octo. Will let you know what they say. Thank you for the reply.

Aloha,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom