New Marina Open (!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccannon707

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a quick trip. I haven't seen anything mentioned about the new marina (even looked back a few months on this forum in case I missed it) so I thought I would bring it up. Have to say FINALMENTE and also it is looking good IMHO. Lots of room for boats, nice piers. There is a small stand for food run by local ladies (of course) and a beer shack. Funny how the powers that be that design these things never think about including these amenities. But the locals will always find a way. I think they will need more room for car parking soon and there are buildings that are not finished. Another marina next to it is being constructed for private boats aka Yachts. Not sure how long it's been open and never did find the bathrooms, but it wasn't crucial. Referred to as the New Caleta vs the Old Caleta. Also as Fonatur... which is the name of Mexico’s tourism-infrastructure developer... (?) What do others think? Christi? Dave?

PS: Re the forum software change.... Why does my avatar say "barracuda"? I think I'm more puffer fish :)

Here is a detailed thread concerning the new Fonatur marina.
The real story of the FONATUR Marina
It was never intended for working boats and no provisions were made for parking. Once the dive boats were forced out of the old Caleta into the new marina they have made it work but when the planned real estate gets developed around the marina I think the dive industry will get squeezed.

The new marina has actually been open for about 8 months - but not all have made the move due to contract disputes among other things.

I have successfully secured my contract for two boats and we have officially moved. Each bay now has water, electricity and sufficient light. There are dedicated slips for fueling up, as well as loading and unloading tanks, etc.

There are some commercial spaces already finished and more still under construction. There will also be storage bodegas within the next 3-4 months, construction on those is just beginning.

The entire upstairs of the south end commercial spaces will be for food vendors.

There is over an acre that has been cleared and is under construction to provide more parking.

There is 24/7 security and the navy will also be providing security at the marina entrance. Not sure when - but this is what I was told when I met personally with the Director last week.

I am very please with the progress they have made and with the plans they have. This is an ongoing project - so more will be revealed as they complete each phase.

There are two sides of the marina, one for visiting luxury and fishing boats, and one for the local working boats. The local side is owned/managed/operated by the local government. The luxury boat side is owned/managed/operated by the federal government. This is all information that was provided and explained from the director himself when I met with him.

So what did they ever do about the shallow draft issue coming into the marina? Nothing?

Also, what is the EP's plans for the old marina? Haven't heard so I am curious....

I didn't buy any at the time but saw cases of XX Green in there. Probably cheaper cans of beer too.

I'll have a Leon Negra, por favor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom