New mask & toothpaste!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk Pitt

Registered
Reaction score
Ok....... got a new mask (Tusa Visualtor)

So i sould clean the lens with toothpaste right!....... But.... will this put fine scratches on the lens, and what coating exactly am I trying to remove?

Any info views appreciated

Dirk
:confused:

Dirk,

Nice mask. Every mask maker places a protective coating on the lense to guard against scuffs and scratches. When you start diving without removing this coating, your mask will fog a lot.

You can use toothpaste or SoftScrub and gently clean the lenses. This may take several applications depending on the protective coating.

Good luck with your new mask.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Dirk,

No - it won't scratch the lens (it's much harder than the slight grit in the toothpaste can "gnaw on").
Extra tip: Use one of the older "white" pastes (like old fashioned plain crest), the "gel" types will require more effort to be effective. Also take the time to get a small sample tube to keep in your spares bag. I like to use it occassionally on the silicone skirt to remove the eventual "fog" which comes from age (and it also leaves the mask with a nice minty smell).
Lastly, I als use an old tooth brush to make the job easy when removingpaste the excess from the corners (durring the rinse) - but use your fingertips when actually "scrubbing" the mask itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom