New mermaid on the block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to you down under from us up above

Welcome to the board! I'd love to be able to work with sea turtle recovery.

You should learn how to have fun--you seem too serious.

Welcome!

Okay, so first thing's first, I'm going to bore you with endless conservstion slides (I wish photos were still slides, sounds much cooler than just old 'photo') and facts, and then you're going to regret encouraging me to post more photos. Deal? Deal.

5.jpg

I think the correct title here is 'crazy about turtles', but I'll accept any other worthy contenders
14238195_10154202518743110_606799498316174601_n.jpg

Inspecting some dead acropora coral on the beach in Costa Rica. I've spent most days talking about coral, about how important it is to our ocean, to this planet, and to us. Coral makes up 2% of the ocean and supports more than 25% of species (my favorite coral fact!). We need it more then it needs us, and I know you all know this but I can't control the urge to reinforce it.

Did you know that even wearing sunscreen in the water with coral will kill it? Most sunscreen contains a chemical called oxybenzone, which once in the water with corals, blocks the UV light and causes massive deformities in young corals. It basically forces the corals to encase themselves in their own skeletons, resulting in death.
Buying a sunscreen that doesn't have oxybenzone in it is easy. Living without coral is definitely not.

11665687_10153217329188110_3731148700257330384_n_jpg.jpg

These poor guys face so many threats in the wild, and sadly most of those threats are the result of human activity.
Marine debris, pollution, boat collisions, habitat destruction, death via by-catch, black market trade of eggs and the turtles themselves and a few other human influenced threats are decimating turtle populations in the wild. Videos have surfaced of turtles with plastic straws stuck in their nose, or stuck in fishing or shark nets. There was even a turtle admitted to the rehabilitation centre I worked at in the Maldives who had his entire flipper ripped off from a suspected net, this is why I dedicate so much time to them. Has anyone seen the of Jacques Cousteau films where they're riding the giant sea and land turtles? The Silent World, I think it was.

I'm drawing identifying patterns on their bellies, here.

10480140_10152308667988110_3324057742509958030_n.jpg

...on the crusade
10156018_10152132402608110_288914030_n.jpg

9.jpg

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd so on and so forth!
Thanks for all the welcomes here, everybody. Warms a heart!

You should learn how to have fun--you seem too serious.

Welcome!
18119509_10154952723380783_1544165092890502531_n.jpg

I think that it's too late for me, the serious train is running express to pretending-to-be-a-sharkville

I also like giving back to the marine community by doing conservation efforts especially for coral reef conservation. I do a lot of volunteering off Singapore waters in Pulau Hantu.

In fact, I just completed my 8th PADI Specialty in AWARE Coral Reef Conservation! I loved the course! Helps bring up a lot of knowledge in this area.

Will you be intending to come by Asia soon to dive? :)

I'm so glad to hear, MasterDiver!
The entirety of South East Asia needs all the help it can get, and it's so good to see you taking it further wuth the specialty! That course must have been a blast. Especially around Hantu.
I just came back from Malaysia actually, helping prepare for the turtles on Perhentian and Redang since its the season. But I'll be heading back to Malaysia, Thailand and Bali in not too long which is enough to keep me happy!
Not your doorstep, but great diving. Must be great to live in S'pore, so close to all the grat dive locations a short flight away :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom