new micro 4/3 camera and goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After doing allot of low light testing 1250iso is where I restricted auto iso max to. It is actually pretty good at 1250 iso.

How fast is the focus especially in low light? Are you able to "capture the moment" or it is gone by the time the camera actually makes the shot?

With the oly lens it is not that fast in low light. With the panny lens I got with the epl-1, it is much faster. The oly and panny bodies are very fast. The oly lenses are slow to AF compare to the Panny lenses.

Panny stands for Panasonic 20mm f1,7?

One more thing to ask. Till now I was shooting with Canon A720 P&S with no external flash. Now I am selling my old camera preparing to move to PL1. Since the original housing has the space for viewfinder (hotshoe is taken) the flash probably pops up inside and external flash is triggered via optic cable. Is that true? Are there any reasons to choose Oly UFL-2 flash over Inon S2000 (I like the size and faster recycle time)? If the internal flash is used as a trigger how fast it recycles? Is camera battery any good in that mode (flash fires with every shot)?
I am really not that good with manual settings, prefer to focus no the composition:)

Sorry for being the pain in //// with all these questions. I live in Siberia and you can not get that staff here for sale. So I have to make a choise based on the internet reviews and opinions.

Thanks!

yup. panny = panasonic.

Yes you can add a viewfinder to the hotshoe. And it works really great, much better the the panasonic GF1. Allot larger viewing area.

Sorry I do not know about the dive set up really with the oly housing. Not planning to dive this camera for now.

After seeing the videos by jun shimizu, I NEED this camera.

For any of the pro's out there, could we really speculate that a 3rd party WA port would be manufactured or more likely their own housing + ports?

The Olympus 9-18 is much faster than the kit 14-42 lens, this is because the 9-18 is internal focus.

Jack

Just on problem to report, the oly Ib software for editing and firmware update does not seem to work for firmware update pc, and their master 2 does not work for mac and pc. I call oly reported the problem. The tech could not resolve the issue but sent my case to tier II support. And the sent me a stand alone firmware update link. Downloaded the software, and problem solve. I am actually glad I got the stand alone updater. As I would not use the Oly software to edit as I use aperture 3 so it takes up less space on my hard drive. Also the Ib software in not mac compatible yet. A newer version is slate to work with Mac.

I must said the Oly was a pleasure to deal with and the tech support guys are great and friendly.

Also it seem the ver 1 that come with the oly epl-1 do not need a firmware update to the 1.1 that is available for the 14-42mm lens. It seems the epl-1 kit lens has a L designator, as is slightly different from the older model. So the 1.0 firmware on them is up to date. Oly tier II said they will get back to me to confirm this info. So I will keep you all posted.

Well if one is looking for a micro 4/3 to take underwater you cant miss Panasonic GF1. 10 bar has a housing for it and inon apprently has made one too
unterwasserkamera.at - INON X2 Panasonic GF1 Housing

I wrote an inquiery to unterwasser camera about it and here is what they answered:

Hi,

i hope to get price and delivery date next two or three weeks. You can use the same INON Port system from X2 50D Housing (it`s ready on the market)

greetings,

<°))))>< - <°))))><

Manfred WERNER

>Hi!
>I am highy interested in new Inon housing for Panasonic GF1. Can you give me a price quote as well as when it will be available. >What would be the port options?
>Thank you!

Now I am leaning towards GF1 for the fast AF unless this issue will be solved in EPL-1 which is not confirmed yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom