• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Dan_T, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Dan_T

Dan_T Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I searched Amazon & all I could find was this: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS Submersible Dive Alert Scuba Nothing about a US Air Force dispatcher leaving voicemail in the guy’s cellular phone in response to the alert.

I found a case about a diver lost at sea in Hawaii with the old Nautilus Lifeline:
    Nautilus Lifeline and Diver Lost for 13 Hours in Hawaii
    KHNL

May be the guy was using the old Nautilus Lifeline GPS Radio, where you have to get (register) MMSI for the unit.

2. Sea Buddy

Sea Buddy Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    So I bought a Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS.

I asked myself a question:

If I surfaced from a dive not seeing my dive boat and not a single boat within airhorn/whistling/Marker Buoy distance. Then that’s already a crisis situation. If a boat does not come to me in 30 minutes then it’s a life threatening situation! I would not hesitate pressing the Red Emergency Button. Sure, having a VHF radio is definitely beneficial during the waiting period but fundamentally I should not be relying on having a radio conversation for the boat to be able to pick me up after a recreational dive. If that is the case then I would be carrying my proper radio in a waterproof case such as a YAESU VX-8. The rescue GPS personal beacon is my emergency signaling device rather than a non emergency device.

Now I have some questions... The Nautilus website is not well documented. I do not have access to an AIS system. How can I test and make sure that the device is working? Do I have to configure the rescue GPS to set to the NMSI of the dive boat if equipped? This is where everything gets confusing to me....

3. Sea Buddy

Sea Buddy Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    More intestingly, this is shown in the latest operation manual. It seems like Nautilus have added a new feature to the Rescue GPS.

I believe it is a non distress type of signaling mode which may proof useful before you decide to press the trigger on the emergency button. Yet, I have no idea how this is going to work...

Attached Files:

scubadada likes this.
  4. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    That's an interesting option! However, it seems like a lot to remember when you're floating around looking for a boat.

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hi Dan, what kind of case is this? Sony I got, but any other info? I am looking for a cheap case solution to for a PLB.

6. Dan_T

Dan_T Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999