New Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How exactly does the Lifeline work? What does it transmit and how is it that boats in its area will receive this transmission? It is on a specific frequency that all boats are on normally?
Apologies if I've missed it in the thread.

How exactly does the Lifeline work? What does it transmit and how is it that boats in its area will receive this transmission? It is on a specific frequency that all boats are on normally?
Apologies if I've missed it in the thread.
There are multiple videos on the previous pages

Via very high frequency (VHF) signals from the Nautilus Lifeline transmitter antenna to VHF receiver antennas in nearby boats or Coast Guard station. The type of signals would be Digital Selective Calling and Automatic Identification System Overview

Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS - Free to use, Diver Rated to 425 ft. | Nautilus LifeLine

86C3B4CF-223E-4AFC-9706-75FD6D5299FC.jpeg

Works like marine radio. When you unlatch the cap, unwrap the antenna and push the red button, the Lifeline will search for your current GPS location and send the man overboard alert with its GPS location to nearby AIS & DSC receiver devices.

My puzzlement was if any/every marine radio pick it up and would you have to be on a specific channel. The links suggest a specific equipped radio and I'm thinking whatever channel you are on the broadcast would be heard.
Is it an audio message?

My puzzlement was if any/every marine radio pick it up and would you have to be on a specific channel. The links suggest a specific equipped radio and I'm thinking whatever channel you are on the broadcast would be heard.
Is it an audio message?

I couldn’t find anything about specific alert being sent by the new Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS, so I called the Nautilus Lifeline Tech Support and asked about it. Here is what I got from them:

The audible alert messages would be sent to marine radio emergency channel. If the marine radio is DSC capable, a text message will show man overboard with GPS position.

For boat with AIS, the alert message will show the man overboard icon, GPS position on the AIS display map with your Nautilus MMSI number.

I did find specific alert message for the old model with 2-way marine radio capable, from the manual:
https://www.nautiluslifeline.com/pdf/NLL_OperationsManual.pdf
“Stations within range that are equipped with a modern VHF marine radios should automatically switch to channel 16, alarms will sound, lights will flash, and your GPS coordinates and a brief message should be shown on the screen of each radio.”

Back
Top Bottom