New New Jersey Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz:
Dutch is where I'm doing my OW dives on the 29/30, then plan on going straight to AOW. Would love to hear about some NJ dive spots for this n00b. :)
There are beach dive opportunities up and down the NJ coast, and plenty of opportunities for wreck dives on NJ's artificial reefs and on wrecks. There's an easy beach dive on the Shark River, for starters. Most beach and wreck dives require some experience. AOW is required for wreck boats, and a pony bottle is, too. For wreck dives, most divers use dry suits (recently, in July, the bottom was 45 degrees), altho some do OK in 5 or 7 mil wetsuits. Specialties of DS, nitrox, wreck and deep would be useful. If it matters to you, viz on the wrecks and reefs is typically in the range of 10 to 20 feet, in my experience.

Here's a news flash I got this week from Divers Two, in Avon. It will give you a sense of opportunities and happenings in the area. It's slightly edited. [Disclosure: I have no connection with D2 other than being a happy customer.]

"Just wanted to let you know that there are a few spots left open for this Saturday's charter to the Stolt. The Stolt is a multilevel dive ranging from about 130’ to the sand up to 75’. It is supposed to be a great dive to get out there and get wet. Remember you must call D2 to reserve your spot. Boat leaves the dock at 7:00 am SHARP!!

"Also why not join ... tonight for a dive in the Shark River Inlet at A-Street. Call the shop for more information. It should be a great night dive.

"Then you can join ... for a Happy Hour this Saturday @ 10:30 at the L – Street Beach.

"Then why not make it a while weekend of diving and on Sunday 30 July - Fosters
single-tank dive departing at 3.30pm ... from Belmar Marina.

"WRECK DIVER CLASS – Always wanted to dive some of NJ Great wrecks – why not take the wreck diver course with .... Call the shop for more info!!

"Also remember – 19 & 20 Aug. 2006 - DUTCH SPRINGS MEGA DIVE CAMPOVER Come join ... for a weekend @ the DUTCH SPRINGS MEGA DIVE CAMPOVER on 19 & 20 Aug., 2006. We will be running all specialty classes including SEARCH AND RECOVERY, NITROX, PHOTO, WRECK, NIGHT, DEEP, plus more. It is a perfect opportunity for Master Scuba Diver candidates to pick up a specialty or two.

..."

From what the DM's told me at the LDS is that Dutch is one of the most dived spots, can be around 1200 divers there on a weekend for their OW dives, supposedly the viz gets really bad after 10-11am.
1200 sounds like a lot, but we all fit nicely. Because dive times are relatively short, there aren't many people in "your" water. Shoreside can get crowded and require a short-block walk to the water, but it's a nice, park-like setting, including a water park type of swim area that looks great for teens. Even with everybody there, viz at the training platforms doesn't get much below 20 feet. It's better on weekdays when the sediment has had a chance to settle out. Also, there are very few divers at Dutch on weekdays, if you're lucky enough to take advantage of it then.

Enjoy your OW dives at Dutch. PM me if you'd like to consider hooking up for some dives.

There is also Willow Springs in Richland, PA (about an hour-1/2 or less from Phial. The place is a LOT different that Dutch Springs. You will never find a croud there, usually only a few other divers if any other divers. I dive there when I can not get to the ocean for some wreck dives.

I also have gone to Dutch Springs, and it is a neat place to dive, but it is crazy over there with all of the people. It is VERY commercialized. They do have some deeper spots than Willow Springs and better viz (due to zebra muscle invasive species infestation).

Now the viz at Willow is very similar to what you would have in the ocean off of NJ. The water has no current and is fresh, but otherwise you would really have a hard time telling the difference in visibility. It is an ideal place to prepare for doing your ocean dives. There is a lot to see underwater there. They have many decent submerged boats there, a tanker truck, bus, an underwater habitat that Penn State students lived in in the 70's for 2 weeks, a cement truck, large crane, and more. The star atraction there is The Quest. It is a 72 foot boat that is great for wreck penetration training. Water temps are similar to the ocean most of the year, except in the end of summer when it warms up to almost 60 at the bottom, or in the winter when we are cutting holes in the ice with a chain saw to get in.

If anyone needs more info on Willow Springs, feel free to drop me an email at scuba@acelockcompany.com and Iwill let you know what ever you want about the place. I also go there a few times per week and on some weekends so if you are looking for a dive buddy or want the underwater Grand Tour, let me know.

Ace

welcome to the board. i got a buddy who just opened a new dive shop in sicklerville if yoo are ever over that way. name of the shop is aztec divers. the owners name is hector. very nice guy. they have gear for the beginer through tech divers, and some commerical equipment to. have fun and dive safe

Davidstealey3:
welcome to the board. i got a buddy who just opened a new dive shop in sicklerville if yoo are ever over that way. name of the shop is aztec divers. the owners name is hector. very nice guy. they have gear for the beginer through tech divers, and some commerical equipment to. have fun and dive safe

Is that the Sicklerville near Williamstown? If so, you are in the old "Dive Shop of NJ" territory. Anyone remember that shop or "Planet Ocean Divers"?:confused:

I actually remember the Old dive shop of NJ. Planet ocean is still hanging on but alot of them joined the South Jersey Dive Club.

And Since you guys are in NJ you really need to get out on a boat. Between Sept and Oct, is when the ocean is at its warmest. The Isaac is a great wreck ( someone mentioned this one earlier). It is about 85 foot to the sand. There are a few good dives though in basic open water range

Welcome Aboard! Dive Safe!

**sorry about the double post...hit the wrong button**

rhyz:
Dutch is where I'm doing my OW dives on the 29/30, then plan on going straight to AOW. Would love to hear about some NJ dive spots for this n00b. :)

From what the DM's told me at the LDS is that Dutch is one of the most dived spots, can be around 1200 divers there on a weekend for their OW dives, supposedly the viz gets really bad after 10-11am.

Ande welcome to the boards...after reading the boards and researching stuff on here you'll get alot better grip on everything. Truely a jewel this board is!!

My wife and I just dove Dutch for the first time this past weekend (8/19) and we loved it. We're planning to go back in Sept. some time as well as trying to squeeze in some weekday diving either before or after that. The place was busy the water was not crowded. Once we move away from where the classes were, the viz really cleared up. The water temps were in the low 80 down to about 30' then they dropped into the mid 70's. Nothing that a 7mil can't handle.

Yes Betail.....Sicklerville is near Williamstown.
Was the Dive Shop of NJ in Hurffville on Delsea Drive?

BTW....Aztec should change the posted hours on the door to Maybe and Sometimes.

My aunt is a member of Ocean Planet Divers and keeps inviting me to the meetings but I get done work too late.

Was the Dive Shop of NJ in Hurffville on Delsea Drive?

That was the place. "Stormin Norman", Chuck W., Harley S., and a few other die hards.

I thought the Planet Ocean Divers dive club folded in the 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom