New Nitrox Diver question: Must I purchase a Gas Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It never ceases to amaze me, how many people do not analyze their own cylinders (a lot of it, plain laziness):shakehead:. I even had a buddy who was Adv. Trimix trained who did not analyze his Nitrox stage bottle. Of any divers out there, he should have been the first to analyze & should know the importance of it. He just said,... "I'll just go off your analysis". I was flabbergasted:confused:. After some discussion, he decided to check his cylinders. Good thing,.... one had a higher concentration than he expected. I carry my own analyzer & analyze my own cylinders,... every time. I basically trust no one with my life, but me. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

I basically trust no one with my life, but me. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

+1 to that. My wife of 37 years and I are very, conservative divers. At an age of 60 and 67 respectively, we dive nitrox on all dives. We drive 20 odd miles passing at least 4 LDS's to trade with a particular LDS. Since we're not usually together when we pick up our full tanks, I bought an O2 analyzer right after we completed our nitrox training.

Even though we check the nitrox mix at the LDS, before either of us uses tanks picked up by the other, we use our own O2 analyzer to check the mix. O2 toxicity is not a forgiving malady.

It never ceases to amaze me, how many people do not analyze their own cylinders (a lot of it, plain laziness):shakehead:. I even had a buddy who was Adv. Trimix trained who did not analyze his Nitrox stage bottle. Of any divers out there, he should have been the first to analyze & should know the importance of it. He just said,... "I'll just go off your analysis". I was flabbergasted:confused:. After some discussion, he decided to check his cylinders. Good thing,.... one had a higher concentration than he expected. I carry my own analyzer & analyze my own cylinders,... every time. I basically trust no one with my life, but me. It just isn't worth the risk to me.
+1 to that. My wife of 37 years and I are very, conservative divers. At an age of 60 and 67 respectively, we dive nitrox on all dives. We drive 20 odd miles passing at least 4 LDS's to trade with a particular LDS. Since we're not usually together when we pick up our full tanks, I bought an O2 analyzer right after we completed our nitrox training.

Even though we check the nitrox mix at the LDS, before either of us uses tanks picked up by the other, we use our own O2 analyzer to check the mix. O2 toxicity is not a forgiving malady.
@tstormdiver and blue sky:
Do you test every tank fill (air only, nitrox, trimix, etc.) for carbon monoxide? Do the dive shops that give you fills constantly monitor for carbon monoxide in compressor output? The reason I ask is that you seem to put a premium on safety...so much so that you have purchased your own O2 analyzer. Do you think that your chance of getting hurt by carbon monoxide poisoning is higher or lower than getting an incorrect nitrox fill? I'm just curious.

While not impossible, CO poisoning at my LDS is unlikely due to their set up. However, you raise an interesting question. I'll take another look tomorrow. We only dive nitrox.

In this case I think a filling mistake is more likely than CO contamination from a known and trusted fill station. Therefore, once again in this case, I think there is a greater risk of getting an incorrect nitrox mix.

If you can afford it without a problem. Its a good investment. Especially if you'll be diving frequently.

Otherwise! It's not necessary to purchase one. As every Enriched Air station provides an analyzer. Always check prior to ever dive.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

While not impossible, CO poisoning at my LDS is unlikely due to their set up. However, you raise an interesting question. I'll take another look tomorrow. We only dive nitrox.

In this case I think a filling mistake is more likely than CO contamination from a known and trusted fill station. Therefore, once again in this case, I think there is a greater risk of getting an incorrect nitrox mix.
@blue sky: On a separate but related issue...
What is the probability that a nitrox filling error will harm you on one of your typical dives?
Consider the most likely nitrox filling error given your dive shop's fill method and your typical depth profile.

I'm curious why you and your spouse feel the need to double-check O2 analysis of tanks that one person has already analyzed at the shop (at the time of pickup).

@blue sky: On a separate but related issue...
What is the probability that a nitrox filling error will harm you on one of your typical dives?
Consider the most likely nitrox filling error given your dive shop's fill method and your typical depth profile.

I'm curious why you and your spouse feel the need to double-check O2 analysis of tanks that one person has already analyzed at the shop (at the time of pickup).

What's the benefit in NOT double checking it?

@mathauck0814:
The opportunity costs of double-checking O2 percentage of the gas include:
  • Time
  • Cost of owning/maintaining your own O2 analyzer
  • Inconvenience.
Perhaps double-checking O2 percentage causes one to overlook some other aspect of pre-dive inspections.
I've seen a number of people who obsessed over a few tenths of O2 percentage in a breathing mix...and then neglected to do a comprehensive functional check of their regulators and BC during pre-dive checks.

I could understand double-checking O2 analysis of the tank if the person who did the initial analysis at the time of pickup was unreliable for some reason.

@tstormdiver and blue sky:
Do you test every tank fill (air only, nitrox, trimix, etc.) for carbon monoxide? Do the dive shops that give you fills constantly monitor for carbon monoxide in compressor output? The reason I ask is that you seem to put a premium on safety...so much so that you have purchased your own O2 analyzer. Do you think that your chance of getting hurt by carbon monoxide poisoning is higher or lower than getting an incorrect nitrox fill? I'm just curious.

Carbon monoxide, ... no. I do check the O2, if the cylinder is marked for a mix (Nitrox- I'm not yet Trimix trained). I have had it drummed into my head to do so. If I can stack the deck at all in my favor, I will. Air cylinders, not marked for any mixes,.. No. I do most of the filling & mix most of my own gas & still analyze it. Our shop's compressor is electric with the intake filter being inside of the shop, away form any combustion sources. 90% of the cylinders I use & fills I get are at my LDS. If I use or have a cylinder filled away from the shop, I will smell the air before putting the regulator on & using. Although CO, itself, is odorless, it is usually is accompanied by smell of burned fuel. Do I have a CO analyzer? No, only a trimix analyzer.

Back
Top Bottom