New or Used BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the used BC really the BC you want or are you thinking of cost? If you like the BC, it fits properly, and is in good shape then why not, if you really want that back inflate BC on the new rack but are thinking its too expensive then I might suggest you really won't be happy with your "bargain".

Also think of reoccurring maintanace costs. For example some mfg. offer free replacement parts (you still pay for laobr) for annual service as long as you are the original purchaser. On used gear of the same brand you pay for the parts and labor.

Try on different brands and styles, see if you can rent the one your considering, to see how it feels on the water

What Prodiver_ca says!! And since he is an instructor, he is right!

I got the scubapro S-tek because I didn't like the other tech BC like the dive-rite, halcon, or OMS. I was trying to get Aqualung's Apek WTX but that was too expensive at the time. And this is what resulted in me getting the S-tek. But soon I'm going to part with it because I finally got the money to buy the Apek WTX and mom finally got that ordered, but I'm still waiting for the harness and she ordered that on my birthday and that was in November.

Otherwise, if you're buying here like in the classified section, then most of the BC are well taken care. Of course, that may be true or not depending on who is selling it. Anyways, just my two cent.

I bought a nice used BC from an instructor at my LDS who was leaving the country to be a divemaster at some exotic location. He couldn't bring that one because it didn't pack as easily as a smaller BC. It was a great fit, a solid product, well-cared for, and offered at a great price -- so I got it. Now, some six years later, I am still using the same rig, and it's served me quite well. The instructor returned from his year overseas and told me that he always regretted selling that BC, as he hasn't found another that works as well for him. And, honestly, I haven't either.

I guess the question is what kind of shape is it in? Mine was in excellent condition, and had been owned & used by someone who knew what he was doing. I have also taken good care of it -- keeping the bladder clean, repairing the power inflator hose and valves, regularly dismantling and cleaning/lubing all dump valves, tightening parts that need tightening, and keeping an eye on wear and tear. I see at least one or two more good seasons with this thing, and then I've got my eye on a somewhat similar BP & W combo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom