New PSD.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I had my first PSD training and it went really well. I like the guys and girl on the team and they seem very interested in training me. This was a small concern in my mind, that I would show up and they were going to have me running bottles the whole time and lifting gear ( which I would have done if I were asked to, After all I did expect some sort of introductory break in period) They immediately started explaining their procedures and what they expected and what I should expect. They really stressed the don't dive if you aren't comfortable and they can pull me out if they aren't comfortable with the signals I am sending out.

Then we got in the water and started the surface rescue swim with a buddy, 2 ways. then a body on the bottom in the prone position recovery and ascent. Then we did a crescent pattern search. The vis was pretty good actually at times it got up to 5 feet which was a very pleasant suprise. I can definately see how my time in cold and murky ohio water helped with my limited to no vis comfort. I can't wait for our next training session, and actually I am trying to get some of the team to do training more often. Thankyou all for your help and advice. I will keep you all updated on my progress through this new adventure.

I am new to this group. I have been diving now for approx. 16-17 yrs. I have been a member of a PSD Team for approx 3yrs. I am looking for some info on gas blocks, computers and equipment set-ups. My team uses scuba pro 1st stages and octos, AGA FFM, no instruments (only pressure gauge) and no redundant air supply. I am trying to get them to change things as far as it goes with the gauges and air supply. We dive with drysuits 90% of the time. We recently got two Gorski Hardhats and SSA. 99% of our dives are blackwater dives. I am also trying to get the team to get away from attaching cutting tools their legs and starting to use the golden triangle. I am trying to rig my gear with my cutting tools in this fashion. I am looking for ideas on this along with any photos that can be sent my way. Also, any training ideas that can be sent my way would be great. I will let you all rest now that I am run on and on. I look forward to sharing ideas and talking.

Hi CC

Maybe start a new thread for a new topic - just so you know

But to get started...
It sounds like you're on the right track. If you are mostly blackwater diving, tethered with a bailout is minimum. Having a pony/bailout that can be removed via a quick d/c is advisable. Some blocks will allow for this. We use the RSV block made by sartech and they're very reasonably priced compared to the commercial ones
Sartek Industries, Inc. RSV-1 Redundant Supply Valve
They are mask mounted to the AGA so I'm not sure how they'd work with your hats

Bear in mind (or tell them) if the water is dirty enough for wearing a hat or AGA then taking your mask/hat off to put an octo in the mouth should be a red flag BUT keeping the octo on the pony may be a good idea too in case the FFM fails completely (they aren't as tough as a hat). It'll just give you more options when things go south.

Computers aren't needed for pure PSD. Something that will give you depth and max depth - normal needle gauges will work fine. The surface guys keep track of the time, profile, SAC etc. They can also determine repetitive dives but most simplity is to have an SOG that ensures NDL's aren't a factor - ie shallow depths & short down times.

I'll try to get you some pics later but I'm not that great of an internet guy. no promises

Welcome to the forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom