New resource Web site for Guam..lots of info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamrider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, I'd like to introduce you to a brand new web site that is designed to be a full resource site on Guam.

There are over 75 dive sites featured with descriptions, photos, videos, etc., Guam trivia, Guam dive shops, and a lot more. If you're traveling out this way take a look at the Travel Tips page.

I hope you enjoy it. Guam: Total Diving Information

Pete,
You dont know me, but I have been on the MDA boat a few times that you have been on it. I just got to say, that I love the website. Truly excellent. Cant wait for my next work trip there to see some new sites. Also, Just shot you a couple quick questions via PM.
Myles

Great job on the new web site Pete!

-Mitch

Hi Pete,
Great information--Thank you.
I once lived on Guam 1980-83, and I am planning a group dive trip back to Guam in the summer of 2012. I'm grateful for your information.

Awesome!! Thank you very much! I've been looking for some new shore dives and the Franko's guide isn't quite descriptive enough, this is definitely far superior... Also does anyone know if there are any worth while dives on the east side of the island?
Thanks again

Also does anyone know if there are any worth while dives on the east side of the island?

Of shore dives, the most well-known one is behind the Marine Lab at UOG, though I've heard of divers going in at Taga'chang Beach in Yona. The problem is that it is normally only doable in certain months of the year when the trade winds switch, on days when the wind and surge are reasonable, and at high tide so you aren't being bounced across the reef on the way in. I've only once been close to going in at UOG (following someone who was familiar with the site), but the surf was still bad enough that viz would have been awful and there was a rotating storm system approaching, so we nixed it from the shore. The one time I looked at the entry point at Taga'chang, it looked like a washing machine. It definitely demands an entirely different level of skill and preparation than the protected side of the island. I was surprised to see a tourist map of Guam mark the remains of the wreck at the mouth of Talofofo Bay as a dive site, but that would likely require a boat and probably has nasty currents and silt from the river outflow.

The guamreeflife.com site has a huge number of underwater photos from places around the island that aren't considered dive sites. From the photos, I would guess that at least some of those were entered from the shore, but I simply wouldn't dive the east side without a crystal clear idea of what to expect. Guamreeflife.com is run by a marine biologist who works for GovGuam, so he has way more experience and available resources than most divers.

Thanks Banyan! Figured I'd ask cause I'd heard there are some but nobody ever talks about diving on this side. I remember somebody telling me about the UoG thing but I have no idea where to enter at, maybe at that spot where they put boats in? Would now be when the trade winds are good for an east side dive? The west side is pretty nuts right now 10ft swells and what not and I'm getting kind of bored of diving the harbor, lol. Also I've heard that this time of year is good for Manta's at Gun beach any truth to that?
Thanks again for your help

Stop by Jeff's Pirates Cove. 28 mph NE winds right now. I would be very surprised if there was any diving on the island outside the harbor. I don't live there, but I think May, June & July would be the months when the Trades shift. Check with MDA.

thanks for the link & the info. I'll be in Guam sometime the next couple of months and trying to scope out some dive spots for some fun while I'm there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom